Monday 10 August 2009

[2008] Drogba wants Barcelona and stops renewal

this post was published one year ago:


Catalan television station TV3 claims that Chelsea forward and Ivory Coast international Didier Drogba (30) has frozen the renewal negotiations with his club because he wants to join Barcelona.

The main obstacle is that Drogba cannot come to Barcelona while Samuel Eto'o is still at the club. Barcelona hasn't received offers for the Cameroonian striker and Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari wouldn't be interested in Eto'o which means a swap deal isn't an option.

Asked about his situation, Drogba nevertheless suggested yesterday to journalists in Ivory Coast that he could well stay with Chelsea this season: "I can only repeat that I'm still a Chelsea player. It's a great team with great players and a great coach. And with an ambitious president.


I don't want to talk a lot about it. I'm comfortable at Chelsea, everything's fine there. I have two years left on my contract. If my employer does not want me to leave, I will continue to be a Chelsea player. Today they've made me understand that they want me to keep on playing for the team."

Read more:

1 comment:

one year ago, readers said...

cojonudo said...

This story sounds contradictory. Why would Drogba freeze negotiations with the club and then make the following remark?...

"I'm comfortable at Chelsea, everything's fine there. I have two years left on my contract. If my employer does not want me to leave, I will continue to be a Chelsea player. Today they've made me understand that they want me to keep on playing for the team."

The only thing going on from my perspective is that Drogba's seeking more money from his current club trying to use his "declaration" for Barcelona as leverage. The right thing for Chelsea to do would be to call his bluff seeing that as stated above, Drogba's not going to Barcelona anytime soon as long as Eto'o is still there.

So to me this is all posturing on Drogba's part and I would take his comments with a grain of salt.


pep said...

To make things maybe a little more clear:

- The TV3 claim is from today (late afternoon barcelona time).

- Drogba's statements were captured yesterday afternoon in Ivory Coast where he will attend the funeral of his grandmother (he travelled there using Roman's Boeing, by the way).


cojonudo said...

Thanks for clearing that up for me Pep. ;-)


Anonymous said...

I wish this transfer window would close... just when I feel good about Eto'o staying, these articles about Berbatov and Drogba come back up. I feel like it's one step forward and two steps back.


Barca nerd-fan said...

Isn't the swap deal between Eto'o and Drogba just insane?! I mean, the swap between Eto'o and Benzema would do. But... Drogba and Eto'o, no way. Drogba is so Bollocks now!


Erikoisasiantuntija said...

Im not a Drogba fan, and i think that Etoo deserves a "second" chance and to be part of the new team. But. If we have to get a Striker like DD, could we sacrifice Henry in order to bring Drogba to camp nou!?
MaNU was interested in Henry, and he hasn`t been impressive during pre-season despite playing up front. Is there a chance to bring a new forward(Drogba or Berbatov), and still keep Samu, by selling Henry?!.


Ramzi Tanani said...

Erikoisasiantuntija the problem is that i dont think henry will accept moving back to england to play with one of arsenal's rivals, beside i really doubt Man UTD will offer an initial bid of 25M, thats too good to be true.
in another hand, eto plus drogba at barca will b a big mess, who will accept to sit on the bench while the other shine?remember there is even a competetion between them on who is the best in africa, that will add lot of salt to the competetive wounds.
I think with eto staying either no striker come or a stiker who can accept sitting on the bench till needed...i mentioned a name so often so i will not repeat...
I agree with cojonudo, drogba is just trying to enhance his position while negiciating with chelsea for a new contract.


Anonymous said...

Drogba would be a good ivorian to buy but did you see his replacement on the ivory coast team, gervinho?!!! i say we go after him cuz will be one of the best attacking players ever ever and he's only 20 or 21

Custom Search
 
Custom Search