Wednesday 13 May 2009

Crosas: "Returning is not an impossible dream"

Celtic Glasgow player Marc Crosas gave an interview to football site Goal.





Will Celtic win the Scottish Premier League title?
I hope so, but things are very tight. It has been like that all year with us on top sometimes and then Rangers taking over at other times. The games are very even and either side can take points off the other so it will be easy to separate us.

Now that you have experienced a derby on the pitch, what is an Old Firm game like?
The setting and the atmosphere are difficult to beat. The only thing that is missing is the level of football. I think that in those games the football itself is quite poor, considering that we are the two strongest teams in Scotland. They are games that leave a lot to be desired. Also, there is too much respect. It is strange because against other teams we play so well, but when the derby comes along it is disappointing. If the level of football improved there would be no derby in the world to match it.

Celtic will play in the Peace Cup this summer and it will be in Andalucia. Is it an added motivation that this tournament is in Spain?
Yes, it will be great to play there again. It is an extra reason to look forward to playing apart from the tournament itself and it will be a chance to play against some of the great sides that will be there. As well as for me, it will also be an honour for Celtic to be able to play in the Peace Cup for the first time.

Do you think that football and peace can go hand-in-hand?
I think so, yes. All sports or mass movements, like football, in Europe, America or Asia, or wherever, can make a lot of people do the same thing and they can all contribute to improving situations in different countries or to easing conflicts. It may not be the role of professional football players because, unfortunately, there is not a great deal that we can do and our influence on an individual basis is limited. But to play tournaments like this is always a pleasure and if our presence helps to bring peace to a region in the world, then that is even better.

You have already lived in two countries outside of Spain. What do you think of them both?
In France I was surprised by how they see football. I think that in Spain there is an incorrect view on that. I thought it was a minority sport behind rugby or cycling, with the Tour de France being so big. But the passion and support is incredible inside the stadiums and many are full. It was a positive surprise. In Scotland, on a sporting front, not only Celtic and Rangers exist. They are the ones that win the most trophies, but there are some competitive teams and the level is not low. There are also some very good players here.

What has the experience been like in both countries off the field?
Learning French was fairly easy. I was able to understand it after a month-and-a-half in Lyon. I think speaking Catalan helped me, although I was keen to learn too. On the other hand, when I came to Scotland I realised what a low level of English I had. I was not very good at speaking it, but I have improved now. But there is a lot more to learn than there was with French.

Is returning to Barcelona now an impossible dream?
No, I do not think so. They have been my club since I was young and also the fact that I have been there since I was 13. But I understand that whether you support the team or how much you feel, the colours does not have an effect when the club is weighing up whether they want you as a player. Here in Scotland I am very happy because everyone at the club are great. That is the only thing that is important to me at the moment.


read the complete interview here


Read more:
Crosas dreams about Barcelona return
Barcelona players congratulate Crosas with goal
How is Crosas doing at Celtic?

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search