Sunday 15 March 2009

Sylvinho doesn't exclude a renewal

Asked about his future now that his contract expires in the summer, Barcelona left back defender Sylvinho (34) has said in an interview with football site ESPNsoccernet that he will make a decision later on in the season:

"I didn't yet had time to decide what to do as from next season. I will wait to go further on in the season, until it is almost over, and then I will take a decision.

Now I'm focused on my work, which is demanding every day and every week, concentrating in all matches and training sessions. That's why I prefer to concentrate on my work for now."

The Brazilian left back defender is quoted by Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo as not excluding another renewal of his contract despite not having heard anything from the club yet:

"The club didn't tell me anything so far. It's not easy, it's a delicate situation but I don't have a deadline. Last season it was hard but this year I try to focus on the three competitions we're still in, so my mind is busy. I prefer to be involved with the team. Besides, I get to play more this season and I feel strong, dealing better with my situation and my place within the squad than last season."

Read more:
Sylvinho wants to stay longer
Barcelona will sign left back next summer
Sylvinho: "Even the players are surprised"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

even though the years are catching up to him he shows little slow down.it would be nice to have him in the squad even next year,but we have also to invest in a new lb talented player.on the down side if we have abidal and lets say lahm for example when would sylvinho play?

if he wants to play he should move to another club ,if he wants to stay he should know that a new player will come and his playing time will be limited ,if he is ok with that i wouldnt mind him staying for rotation and injuries

peter said...

When Sylvinho decides to throw in the towel i sincerely think there is a chance for him joining the staff att barcelona.

We have always read so much about his good attitude in and off the pitch and his mentorship for the younger players. Maybe he could find a place as training defenders in one of the younger teams, maybe juvenil.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Peter.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Peter too. I would actually like him to stay 1 more year also. I actually think he is one of the most underrated players. For some reason, he reminds me of an older and slower Alves. Am I crazy?

kamikaze kontiki said...

The problem with Sylvinho arises not in his movement over small spaces but rather in his endurance over 90 mins. If we start Syl (in case of an Abidal injury) knowing that we have to waste a substitution on him later in the game I think he will be reducing our options.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search