Saturday 10 January 2009

Xavi: "Give me a couch and a movie and I'm happy"

Barcelona player Xavi gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





What has been the critical comment that has annoyed you most?
They have said all kinds of things about me, but I understand that because you cannot be liked by everyone. It's never nice to be criticized but you have to be able to form your own idea on your performances, otherwise you don't know what to believe. But of course bad comments affect me, like they affect everybody. And I read all of them... I accept every opinion although there are things that I didn't like, people saying that I don't have a personality, that I don't have depth in my game... Now I'm going through a good period but I keep on saying that I depend on my teammates. If you give a hoizontal pass that's because they asked me, I'm the passing guy and my way of playing depends on the others.

What do you mean, that Xavi is the barometer of Barça?
That would be too much praise, that's not right. It's true that I particpate a lot during the game, I touch more than 80 balls in a match. I like to be the playmaker. I have a big responsibility, protecting the ball, holding it, offering myself... I want to help the teammates. I try to make it easier for them. I'm also like that off the pitch.

A key player has to be modest?
You need to have enough selfesteem, otherwise they walk over you. You need to have a lot of personality if you want to win, but that doesn't mean you should be selfish.

This team has a lot of leaders?
Yes, there are more leaders than other years, some because of playing here for several years, others because of their importance for the team... Milito for example is only here for one year but because of the way he talks, he's a leader, like is Márquez.

Do you feel a leader?
I feel important within the group, people respect me for the years I'm here. I'm perfectly happy with my role.

Are you demanding towards yourself or do you need someone else to put some pressure?
I take care of myself. After the game against Madrid for example, I was thinking that I didn't participate like I usually do but if you start to look at the man-marking, that they were on top of me... It was a tough game. But when your team wins, you sleep well even if you didn't play well.

Having to pay tribute to Madrid last season is what hurt you most?
No, it didn't. It's a matter of modesty. Madrid was the champion and you have to respect that. The 4-1 and the referee, that angered me.

Something has changed in your life now that you're going through your best moments?
I would like to have some more privacy, although I know it won't happen. Sometimes people that I don't like approach me. It's as if everyone want to have a taste of you. So I would like to be a little more anonymous, but that's the price you have to pay. Although on the other hand it's also a privilege because I like to be admired for what I do as a football player. But besides that, I'm a normal guy and people don't see me like that. It seems foolish that people look at footballers being on another level than the others.

You never took advantage of your fame...
Well, it works both ways. If you go to a restaurant, you can have some special treatment but afterwards you have to pose with them for a picture. I've adapted to the whole thing and I won't complain.

There are things you're not doing anymore?
I had already stopped doing them because I wanted to become a professional player.

You had childhood idols?
No, only people I admired as a player. I didn't like to ask for autographs. It was enough for me that I could see them train. I liked to see them play. I liked Koeman, Pep, Romario...

What's the gift you would like most for the new year?
Above all, staying healthy and keep on enjoying together with my family. I think more about the others than about myself. I don't need a lot. If you give me a couch and put on a movie, I'm happy. I don't need a luxurious hotel on the Maldives, I just want to feel well-surrounded.



This was the third and last part of this interview. You can read the first two parts here:
"How did this happen?!"
"Messi is playing at his own level"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a humble guy. I'm impressed!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

DONT CLICK ON THAT LINK!!!!!
Its a form of advertising and you that posted this link should be banned.

pep said...

Removed that link, Atre.


Guess the general rule is that you just don't click on links that have a rather unusual address.

Etsp said...

This is one of the reasons that I love Barca, it's not just the style of play, it's the characters within the club. Xavi seems like a great guy!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search