Wednesday 7 January 2009

Puyol: "We haven't yet spoken about a renewal"

Barcelona player Carles Puyol gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.





Dani Alves has said that the strongest challengers now, more than Madrid, are Sevilla and Valencia. Do you agree?
Madrid is a rival just like the rest.

If you could choose between the Copa del Rey, the Liga or the Champions League, which one would you choose?
I'll take all three.

Could be difficult...
Very difficult. The challenge is that Barça has never done that in its history. Winning one is already difficult but the objective is to win all three.

And if you were proposed right now to assure yourself of one title...
Ooh! Complicated. Off the bat I wouldn't choose because we have a team that can win more than one title.

Does it bother you that at 30 years old and being a captain you have to play many positions, as central and side defender at both sides?
Absolutely not. And it has nothing to do with being captain or being 30 years old. It's done to help the team, as always. I intend to do what the manager asks me to.

You've said before that you can play 10 more years, you still feel that way?
I said that jokingly. It was a comment but I don't know how many years I have left of football. I hope there's many, that's for sure.

Will you retire at Barça?
It's my hope but in football you never know. I enjoy the present and we'll see then.

How is your renewal going? You're contract expires in 2010...
My reprentative nor I have spoken to the club about this, but it doesn't worry me. I have a year and a half and I'm calm.

Xavi renewed and Valdes is currently doing likewise...
Yes, good news. The club is doing good in talking with Valdes. He's the best goalkeeper that Barca can have. Hopefully he stays many years.

A quick note about the Champions League. Are you happy that you drew Lyon?
Something similar happened when we drew Liverpool and we know how that turned out. We must be at one hundred percent or we won't go through.

Was it a risk to play against Mallorca without Messi?
No. I agree with the decision. It makes sense that players from abroad who have few chances to return to their home country get to do so during Christmas. Whoever plays, the team will be powerful. We're all proud of this squad.


Translated by: AL


This was the third and last part of this interview. Read the previous parts here:
"Things aren't won until you lift the cup"
"Right now, I have not one complaint"

Read more:
Negotiations with Puyol, Valdés and Eto'o to start
Eto'o: "Every goal gives you more confidence"
Four players nominated for Uefa Team of 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

comment to the translators:
ilusión ≠ illusion
"ilusión" actually means "hope" in English.

I've seen this mistranslated many times on this blog, and it always bugs me a little.

But nevertheless, this blog is a great source of Barça info. Thanks for all the hard work!

pep said...

Changed that, thanks.

I think I mostly translate(d) it as "desire", by the way. Let me know if you want to help out with the translations (fcbtransfers ... yahoo.com).

Custom Search
 
Custom Search