Friday 6 March 2009

Hleb honoured by Bayern interest

Asked about the rumours linking him with a move to Bayern Munich (read more here), Barcelona attacker and Belarus international Alexander Hleb (27) has said in an interview with German sports weekly paper Sport Bild that he welcomes the interest but that he is now only thinking about succeeding at Barcelona:

"When a club like Bayern is interested in you, that's of course great. It's one of the top clubs in the world and I know from my time at Stuttgart that Bayern is a very special club. That's why I'm pleased and honoured with the interest.

It's true that Bayern also wanted me last summer and that a deal was close. But I'm in Barcelona now and you don't win anything by speculating about the past. I'm now fully concentrating on Barcelona and I'm working hard on training to make progress. I'm playing with Barcelona and that has always been a child's dream for me, which now has been fulfilled.

Of course I want to play and I've come to Barcelona to win my spot. I want to show here what I can. On the left, on the right, in the centre, that doesn't matter. I believe in myself and I know I can be part of this team. On the other hand, I'm at the perfect football age now. And I don't want to lose those best years by sitting on a bench. When I was 20 years ols, I had time. But I'm almost 28 years old now and I think I've already proven something in my career."

Asked by Sport Bild about the Hleb rumours, Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge didn't really want to enter the issue: "I don't want to comment on it, because if I say that it's an interesting player, then it would seem as if we've signed him already. We didn't speak with anyone at this moment. It's true that we held talks last summer. In the end the transfer didn't went through because of some minor details."

Belarus national team coach Bernd Stange meanwhile said in an interview with British tabloid News of the World that Hleb wants to leave Barcelona: "In London he was a hero. If I went to a restaurant with him, there in a matter of seconds about 20 people would surround him asking for an autograph.

Now he is at a mega-club. They have 25 world-class players. Only eleven of them can go on to the pitch. Seven sit on the bench and seven more watch games from the stands. It makes me nervous, too, when I see the captain of my team coming on as a sub for five or ten minutes or not playing at all. But he needs to make a fight of it."

Read more:
Hleb could be part of Ribery deal
Guardiola denies Van Persie-Hleb swap offer
Hleb agent denies exit rumours

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess the obvious thing to say is hleb + 15-20million euro= ribery. no offense to hleb, he is a good player and at moments he looks very good, the problem is he doesnt get enough time but still he must impress with the time he is given...though that is difficult to do

Anonymous said...

Buying him and Keita was mistake last summer and huge wast of money. I hope Barca will sell him this year, but I don't believe that Bayern will take him and cash for Ribery. I just red that Valencia's CEO is planning to sell some of their stars to reduce financial gap they have. If that happens, Barca could buy Silva, maybe it will be cheaper option, but I bet most of fans would like Ribery better.

Anonymous said...

i feel sorry for him as he was really making progress before his injury. now he doesn't seem to have any confidence. i like him as a player and would like for him to be successful for barca but if that doesn't happen then it would be best for us and him if he leaves while he can still benefit a team. don't reckon we can get ribery, but could be an ideal solution for all if they do accept hleb/money deal, providing hleb does want to leave.

Ratty88 said...

if im not mistaken, didnt keita score against madrid? how is that a mistake it think he was a very valuable buy

Custom Search
 
Custom Search