Tuesday 17 February 2009

Busquets: "Sometimes I think I'm dreaming"

Barcelona player Sergio Busquets gave an interview to Spanish newspaper El País.





Have you already gotten rid of the "son of..." label?
I'm the son of Busquets [Carles, goalkeeper for Barça between 1988 and 1998]. I'm very proud. As a kid, I went to see him at the Camp Nou. It's clear that I'm where I am not because I'm his son.

You must be flabbergasted right now.
Well yes. Last week I was dining with players that not too long ago I was rooting for in front of the television set during the Euro. Yes, I'm amazed; of course I'm flabbergasted.

Did you ever think what would be of you if Guardiola hadn't crossed your path?
Yes, sometimes I think about it. But the answer isn't clear. You never know... Sometimes I even think to myself if what I'm going through is actually happening, because it's like a dream. But, you know?

What?
I worked hard it. Guardiola was important... Well, he was very brave. But he must see something in me, right? And I'm sure that I work hard every day.

What importance does it make to have a dad that played as keeper for Barcelona?
That I grew up in a determined environment. My dad went through things that I also went through and I noticed that. That's why I'm aware of what goes on and that I don't lose my head.

What advice does he give you?
To not lose myself, to stay in the moment, and most of all to think about the day-to-day, because tomorrow never knows...

Why didn't you play as goalkeeper?
Because I don't like getting scored on. Playing football is fun if you get to touch the ball. Without touching it, I'd rather not play.

Guardiola says: "It's difficult for Busi to play badly. He has a lot of character and personality. He's a different kind of player. He knows how to play football."
What can I say? I can play badly, but I always play with ease.

And you don't get rusty. I'm talking about recent matches. You're the player on the team that makes the most fouls. Does it have to do with the formation? You arrived at Barcelona as a youngster, having played in youth teams, on dirt fields...
I don't know... I have my personality. A coward I'm not. It's not the same growing up with football at teams as good as Barcelona or Espanyol, in a youth team of one of the greats, who always have the ball. I had to earn my place. I always liked to play touching the ball, quickly, from the start. I think that they kick me more than I kick them.

True. You're also the player on the team that gets fouled the most. Is there a reason?
I would like to know that! It's probably because I have long legs. They think that I don't reach the ball, but when I do, I barely touch it and then... I get kicked!

Back to Guardiola, is he coach that's as serious as he seems?
No way, not at all. I have the advantage of knowing him better than anyone on the team. Well, Victor Sánchez and I, who were in the B team with him, we know him well. You also don't have to try hard to understand him. He told me what he wanted from me at the beginning of the season and he doesn't hesitate to repeat it before every match.

What does he ask from you?
Nothing, to play how I play, by one or two touches. One day he told us that the faster we move the ball, the faster the rival gets tired.

And what do you do?
Well, I touch the ball. That's my position, where I have to think fast, and I have no problem playing with both feet, and thats what I do, I move the ball.

What do you aspire for?
Nothing, because I'm living my dream. What I do is work for the team.


Translated by: AL


Read more:
The dizzying journey of Sergio Busquets

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could see that he was dreaming when Betis scored that first goal!
Forzaa Barcaaa!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search