Thursday 16 October 2008

Youth: Pacheco explains Liverpool move

In an interview with his club's official media, Liverpool reserves forward Daniel Pacheco (17) explained why he left Barcelona in the summer of 2007:

"It's a similar situation to the likes of Cesc Fabregas. Some Spanish clubs bring players in from South America then don't pay as much attention to the homegrown players.

It was about two years ago at Barcelona that my agent told me Liverpool chief scout Eduardo Marcia was coming to watch me. I didn't know much about him other than he was from Liverpool. Obviously I was a little bit nervous but I preferred to know because then there was no chance of me relaxing in the game. We won 4-1 against Espanyol and I scored a hat-trick - one penalty and another two.

Barcelona was a fantastic place for me but it was an easy decision to come to Liverpool. I'd been there four years and my girlfriend was there but I wanted to come to England. I played every week at Barcelona but the problem was with the contract. The club kept saying I'd get a contract but I never saw it."

Although Pacheco is still playing with Liverpool's reserves team, he got the chance to train with the first team during pre-season: "This summer, I was in Malaga and was expecting to just come back on July 2. But then the club rang me in June and said I had to be back earlier to start with the first team. I was surprised but of course it made me feel very good.

You always learn a lot in every session with the first team. They are massive players but they always help you and give you advice. In pre-season a lot of the Spanish players were away so I was spending time with Yossi Benayoun, Fabio Aurelio and Javier Mascherano. Everyone really, but these three speak Spanish.

Yossi knows I like to play like him. He always tells me that I'm a good player and that when I have time I can run and take players on. But he tells me that when there is no time and opposition players are close I must pass and move.

Now I feel I am a good player for the reserves. Players are now looking for me as the first attacking player. I feel like I am making progress. I know I have to work hard in the reserves because this is my team. If I want to get into the first team I must first play for the reserves. Last season I had just two or three starts but now I am playing all the games."


Read more:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the truth is Dani, you weren't good enough to get a contract proposal. Always in the shadow of Bojan.

One more thing, please don't tell lies. Cesc was indeed recieve an offer for a new contract but like you he went for the money.

Sour grapes!

Dan R said...

Just don't come back crying like Cesc :)

Custom Search
 
Custom Search