Thursday 11 December 2008

Xavi: "I owe everything to my teammates"

Barcelona player Xavi gave an interview to Catalan newspaper La Vanguardia.





What does it mean to be fifth in the Ballon d'Or ranking and the best-ranked Catalan in its history?
It's an intense happiness. The fact that I'm on the list was already a big privilege, but to be in the top five I would've never imagined it, nor to have been doing so good right now. I've always said that I owe it all to my teammates. We won the Euro, we play attractive football and there's a positive aura which helps a lot. Managers count on me and see me as a key player. I can't ask for anything more. What I didn't know is that no other Catalan has ever hit such a high.

Why didn't you think that you'd be there? A lack of confidence?
No, I think it's because of my characteristics. It's very difficult for a midfielder to win the Ballon d'Or. You always think "I'll never have the chance" because most of the credit goes to forwards. They make the difference, I'm not like that because I'm only one within a group, not only do I think about my teammates but I also try to create a one-two or make an important pass. Now those who make the difference are rewarded. Messi, Cristiano, and Torres make a difference.

But in the Euro the prize was yours.
It's true, but my award was based on the achievement of the team. I say and believe that I'm only a player within my team. It was a collective effort and they gave me the prize because I'm the one that circulated and touched the ball the most.

Now you score many goals.
That also helps because I have a different role, now I'm more transcendent and I assist playing from three-fourths of the field. Before I didn't see myself playing there. I told Rijkaard: "Coach, I need to see the entire pitch in order to play". I've gotten used to it.

What about the Sevilla game?
The first goal by Eto'o was a rebound after I hit the ball. In the second I passed to Leo, but I didn't expect him to score such an amazing goal! I've always been told that I must look before passing.

Now comes the result. Do you feel the maturity and solidity?
Yes, I feel very comfortable, even in personal terms. In football terms I'm in the role that I've always wanted, the one that I've always had since I was a beginner. My dream was to play in the first team, and I've done it. I wouldn't change it for anything, now I'm enjoying everything like a youngster.

Being the best at the Euro and fifth for the Ballon d'Or pays as third, fifth, or first at Barca?
(laughs) The club's philosophy is very clear. It has a worldwide star, which is Messi, and it has a goalscorer. And those two players will be above any home-grown player's salary. But the status of my new contract is almost close to theirs, and it's great.

Your agent, Ivan Corretja, wanted more?
We held on to some figures... What I wanted was a long-term contract so I was more relaxed and I could concentrate on football with a solid contract for many years to come. The anticipation for the end of my current contract in 2010 you didn't know when it would really end. That was my lack of tranquility. I told Ivan that what's important was to be in a determined state. I'm molded into Barca. Imagine if I had gone to Inter, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. I could adapt, yes, but that's a different kind of football.

Have there been moments where you saw yourself leaving the club?
Many times, of course, because here it is difficult to stay for many years straight. Here people are more demanding and they get tired of the same faces. The supporters are grateful but you must give them something, unlike that of Liverpool where they'll support you no matter what. I thought about the Premier League, which I like, but my vision was to retire here.

Translated by: AL


This was the first part of this interview. The second part will follow in the coming days.

Read more interviews here:
Marquez: "The clasico is a different game"
Laporta: "Mourinho was a more secure option"
Xavi: "I was the first to say that Eto'o had to stay"

2 comments:

Waleed said...

"Here people are more demanding and they get tired of the same faces. The supporters are grateful but you must give them something, unlike that of Liverpool where they'll support you no matter what"
so true.. but truth can be bitter somtimes, well it is so most of the time!!

utility73 said...

"Here people are more demanding and they get tired of the same faces. The supporters are grateful but you must give them something, unlike that of Liverpool where they'll support you no matter what"

This is what I actually like about the Barca supporters. It should be a two-way relationship between players/team and the supporters. You give your best and we give you support. You don't and we don't.

I have never liked undemanding blind supporters which didn't care what happens on the pitch.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search