Monday 26 January 2009

Youth: Interview with Juvenil player Icardi

Barcelona Juvenil B player (15) Mauro Icardi gave an interview to Argentinian newspaper La Capital.





Young Rosarian Mauro Icardi lights up Barcelona's youth academy with his goals

The goal scoring ability of Mauro Icardi is causing him to be considered as one of the future’s top strikers in the Iberian Peninsula. The Rosarian has goals in his DNA.


At least this is what he has demonstrated in the last few seasons in Spain in which he has scored more than 500 goals. The striker, who spent this season enriching the Barcelona youth academy and forms part of Argentina’s under-17 squad, made a brief stop in our city. And he is another gem from the prestigious Barça cast who has made time for us.

"Now I'm starting to live the life I've always wanted. Not only playing for a huge club like Barcelona, but also to defend the jersey of my country", confessed the shy, 15-year-old kid. "But I also know that I have a long way to go and a lot to learn," he added thoughtfully.

"My life changed last year. I moved to Barcelona, I had to leave my family in Gran Canaria and in December I began playing with Argentina’s under-17’s. The truth is that I have experienced many wonderful things. Furthermore, it has been seven years since I last went to Rosario. Honestly, I miss my friends and family quite a lot. When I arrived in the city I was reminded of my childhood. It was a very special moment," he said with nostalgia.

Mauro moved to the "Old Continent" as an effect of the national crisis in 2001. The Icardi’s, like thousands of anonymous families, had to pack their bags and point their compasses towards another horizon in order to restart their lives. Fate brought them to Gran Canaria, where the striker began to write the story of his footballing career, in the ranks of Vecindario football club.

"I have scored 500 goals in four seasons. I played pretty well and that allowed me to sign up with Barcelona last year," said the Juvenil player. He added, "I take everything very calmly. I am still the same as I always was and I do not intend to change, although it is one of the best institutions in the sporting world."

When asked whether he is desperate to be summoned to the Barça first team, Mauro bluntly replied: "No, because I am still a boy. I have to keep learning. For now I already have enough training everyday." And from the heart, he immediately added: "Although I will not deny that my dream is to stand side-by-side with them someday, and I will fight very hard to be able to be there."

"My dream? Playing in the first division defending the Barcelona shirt and wearing the jersey of the senior national team after that of the youth team. That will do for me, ha ha. It is only with effort that you can achieve great things, and I will never give up," concluded the other Rosarian pearl that Barça has in their ranks, despite Lionel Messi being the the most well-known at this moment.


Translated by: Andrew


Read more:
Barça B: An introduction to Ruben Rochina
Youth: Russian goalkeeper joins Barcelona
Youth: Icardi called-up for Argentina U-17

7 comments:

pep said...

This was the first translation made by Andrew. As with the the other new guys, I want to sincerely thank him for contributing to make this blog better. Thanks, Andrew!

kamikaze kontiki said...

Thanks Andrew and thanks Pep. I really appreciate the background information along with the interview on the youth players.

Anonymous said...

500 in 4 seasons?????wtf ??? as i told in a previus post this lad is the next striker for the big team.keep eto till he turns 18-19 and by then bojan and icardi will tear the defences to ashes...

Anonymous said...

thanks for all these new translation, this blog keeps coming up with a wealth of information about barca i would otherwise never know!

thanks pep, thanks andrew, thanks all who read and post!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks andrew. I think his rate is even beter than bojan. My lord bojan messi icardi gai iniesta could all be in the same team. The defenders may be in for a rough time for years to come. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Bojan krkic made more then 1000 goals in 6 years on the youth team!

It is not officielly, but nighter Icardi's 500.

Doesn't matter.

Both can be our front figures in the future if the will continue to develop in the same manner.

Anonymous said...

I thought bojan had 899 goals in 9 years?

Custom Search
 
Custom Search