Thursday 15 January 2009

Pedro: "I want to work hard so I can stay"

Barcelona player Pedro gave an interview to Tenerife local newspaper La Opinión de Tenerife.




How did your life change when you left the isle of Tenerife four years ago?
It was a very big change and I admit it was difficult at the beginning. I wasn't used to the people, the city, I didn't know how to connect with other people, I don't know... Later everything changed and things went better. I had a good relationship with my team-mates and that was the start of my adaptation to Barcelona and to Barça.

What was the most difficult thing?
Without any doubt the first months, the first year with the Juvenil team. Now I can look back and I remember that the start was hard, difficult. I looked around and I missed my friends, my family... But you get used to that. And it's honestly vital, fundamental that you have good team-mates around you.

What was your impression the first day you trained with the first team.
I was truly impressed. I saw great players everywhere I looked but I can sincerely say that it wasn't hard to connect with them. You immediately start to work and they make you feel like one of the guys and not as the new kid.

Who helped you integrating?
They all did actually. Everyone tries to give some advice to me and the others who were promoted to the first team. They all made sure we didn't feel lost or discriminated. We were very young when we started training with the first team so then it's important to feel supported and appreciated.

How do the players deal with each other in such a big club?
There's a very good atmosphere. It's a big club, a big team and one has the feeling that it's a privilege to be able to play here. I'm aware of that and I try to enjoy it every day, every game, every moment. And to learn as much as possible.

How is Guardiola?
It's a great coach, a man with a great personality who is able to get his football philosophy through: what he wants and how he wants it. I think you really see his ideas reflected on the pitch.

What are your goals this season?
To continue to grow. In my case this means more minutes, training with the team, finding myself a place, making the coach believe a little more in me. It's clear that it isn't easy but that's why I work hard, I give my best every day.

You hope to stay for many years at Barcelona?
I have two years left on my contract, but I don't think about the future. I don't know if they will renew the contract or not, but my plan is to work hard so I can stay.

Where's your limit?
I don't like to set myself long-term goals, butit's clear that it's a dream for me to play here and of course it would be even better if we would be able to win all possible trophies this season. We're an ambitious team and we're gonna fight for it. It would be incredible to be able to celebrate a trophy with my team-mates and to live this great year as a part of the squad.



This was the second and last part of this interview. You can read the first part here:
"Messi is my idol"

Read more:
No contract renewal talks yet for Pedro
An introduction to the coming stars
Xavi: "Messi is playing at his own level"

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search