Friday 7 November 2008

Messi (3): "Ronaldinho didn't deserve such an exit"

Barcelona player Lionel Messi gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.


(read the previous parts here)


Was last season really that bad?
Ouch! You wouldn't even imagine. It was a terrible season in which nothing went right. Just look at how we drew Espanyol and the title went past us. We want to forget these terrible two years and there's no better way than winning the title this year.

Liga or Champions League?
If it were up to me, both. But things must be taken step by step. It's probably more important to secure the Liga because it's longer competition. We fight match by match in the Champions League, the place in which luck or even the fixtures you encounter can be decisive in the end. It's been two years since we won the Liga and I'm anxious to win it again with the team. The Champions League is for later.

And the World Cup?
I think that it's time for Argentina to win the World Cup again. In Germany, we didn't have luck nor a solid chance of victory in the decisive match against the hosts. Our team level was shown in the match against Serbia and Montenegro. I believe that if we could have overcome the Germans, we could have made the final and win.

Which team do you respect the most in the league?
This year the title race will be closer. Real Madrid is doing well, Valencia is recovering, Sevilla is going strong, and I think that Villarreal is playing the best football aside from us. I was surprised by Agüero's Atletico because I thought that they would be on top with the team that they have, although they're still lacking. It will be tough, that's for sure.

And in the Champions League?
I don't know, if I had to pick I would say Liverpool. Not only because you have great players such as Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt or my friend Mascherano. Why isn't he on the Golden Ball list? It's a shame because he's a heck of a player. I say this because Liverpool play football that makes things difficult for any team. There are other teams that can be considered better, but I think that Liverpool can possibly reach the final in Rome. I sure don't want to meet hem before the final. And Arsenal? They play great football, they have a young and talented squad, but they lack strength and experience.

And Deco's Chelsea?
We'll save them for the semi-finals (chuckles). Felipao Scolari has created a heck of a team with Deco, Lampard, Drogba and others. They defend, attack, and they're a scary rival that plays great football. Chelsea gives me good memories because at my first match at Stamford Bridge I got to learn the level of European football, and it was a great match for me.

Now let's talk about you. Last year, you were left behind in the FIFA World Player and was third in the running for the Golden Ball. The other day you said that you put the team's triumphs over your own.
I was trying to say that that the team's success should come before personal success. But that doesn't mean that I don't have the illusion of being the first Argentine-Argentine to win the FIFA World Player and the Golden Ball. I know that Batistuta was third in the running for the World Player in 1999 and that the Golden Ball was given to Maradona for his career, and to Alfredo di Stefano and Omar Sivori as a Spaniard and Italian respectively. Yes, I would like to win both awards. You know what? I think that it's time for Brazilians to stop winning the awards and for an Argentine to win it (chuckles). No, I'm just kidding, whoever wins it has earned it.

Your friend Ronaldinho has done it.
And it annoys me that he wasn't even on the list this year. I'm happy seeing how step by step he's showing his true colors in Milan. I know that he scored twice in a match not too long ago. We still keep in touch, as well as with Deco, and we send each other texts or we call each other.

Ronaldinho "voted" for you and for Kaka.
Ronnie is a phenomenon and he didn't deserve what happened last season and how he left the club after all he gave to Barça. He is also a phenomenal person. I don't say that just because. I'll be proved right in Italy once his teammates get to know him more.

If you were a judge, who would you give the two awards to?
To my pal Kun Aguero. Seriously, but setting him aside, many other players deserve it. I was happy to see Fernando Torres, my teammate Xavi and the rest of the Spanish internationals because of the great Euro performance. I'm a bit dissapointed in not seeing Iniesta on there. I'm sure that next season, when the rest of the world sees how he's doing in Spain, he'll be a favorite. He's a heck of a player and I'm not exaggerating. Did anyone see the goal he scored against Belgium? Also, everyone from Cristiano Ronaldo to Kaka and Ibrahimovic have enough of a reason to win the titles. And Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard who are English players that I like very much.

You don't mention Cristiano Ronaldo...
He's an incredible player, winner of the Champions League. Golden Boot last year too. I think that he's the clear favorite for all those awards because of his quality and goals, but we'll fight for it. Last year, he was ahead of me in the running for the Golden Ball and I was ahead for the FIFA World Player. We'll see this year.


Translated by: AL


This was the third and last part of this interview.

You can read the previous parts here:
Messi (1): "I play the game by instinct"
Messi (2): "I've recently started eating fish"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don Alfredo, el más grande

Anonymous said...

He chose for Barcelona, but Franco decided otherwise...

Anonymous said...

Ronnie got what he deserved Messi you better STFU before us fan's treat u the same way you're not catalan you can be easily replaced..Viva Barca!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Messi replacable? Ok, so give me a name in todays football that can replace Messi.
There is none, Messi is the world best footballer and he has the future ahead of him.
He is INREPLACABLE! Catalan or not!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search