Tuesday 4 November 2008

Messi (2): "I've recently started eating fish"

Barcelona player Lionel Messi gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.


(read the first part here)


Pekerman, Alfio "Coco" Basile, Batista, Rijkaard and Guardiola. Each one of them has played you in different positions. If you could, where would you put Leo Messi?
I've gotten used to playing on the right wing, and I've been able to use my qualities from this position. I also like drifting into the center forward position, a position in which I can move freely, something that Guardiola looks for me and wants me to do. In any case, I like being close to the opponent's goal to be able to slot in a goal and help my team win.

Valdano says that the things that you do with the ball can be emulated by anybody, but that your velocity is unique.
To be honest, I don't think that I'm the only one running on the field. It's true that I like being quick with my passes and shots, but that's also a characteristic of the style of Barca. When we're at our best, the ball moves at 100 mph and it makes it hard for the rival to mark us and to put pressure on us. I think that in the box is where I move the fastest, in search of the best place to shoot.

Is it true that the club has changed your eating habits?
Yes, to be honest, I'm a typical Argentine when it comes to food. I went mad having to eat meat and pasta. Now, my habits are changing and I'm eating vegetables, fruits, and I've recently started eating fish. That's something that the manager believes is very important, and my teammates' diets are also well maintained.

And your training habits?
We're working hard to prevent injuries, and we do things that I never thought were important until now. Juanjo Brau, Barcelona's physiotherapist, flies with me when I play with Argentina so I can do unique exercises.

Are injuries the nightmare of your career?
Yes, I admit to have been worrisome about injuries because they always happen at the worst moments, such as decisive matches in the league and the Champions League. Now, I'm not so superstitious, and I'm glad to set those worries aside.

Compare Rijkaard and Guardiola.
They are both great people.

You don't have to hesitate.
Well, with Pep I have more freedom than before. Our vision of the game and the playing style of Barca remains the same. This season, we have recovered things that we haven't done with Rijkaard the past two seasons. We can apply pressure, have more possession, and will pass and pass until we can score. The ball moves very fast and we can put on quite a show.

In all honesty, tell us a difference between Guardiola and Rijkaard.
Guardiola has a bigger presence within the players. He speaks with us more and he looks at even the smallest details. But that doesn't mean that Rijkaard did things wrong either. Both managers have their own style to reach the same goals. Guardiola likes being very close to the team and making a true presence. It's apparent that he knows how to manage the players and that's a huge help for us. Sometimes, he feels like the extra player.

What's the secret behind the change?
Well, let me tell you this. After the match at Athletic Bilbao, when we were returning to Barcelona, we were talking about what was different between this year and last year. This year, we played a serious match against Bilbao and we won, but last year during the same match we still had more opportunities to score and still didn't win. We didn't have the little bit of luck that we now have, the champions' luck.

Is there a better "flow" in the dressing room?
Yes, but that's only because we're doing well and we feel better. When things are going well, we're in a better overall mood. Good results follow from that and there's no doubt about that.

Convince me that this Barca squad will do well.
Nothing is missing, just watch us play and enjoy. We're doing great, and we're enjoying ourselves both in and out of the pitch with the fans. Don't doubt it, count on this Barca. Be confident because everything is still a bit new and the pieces are beginning to connect, but so far the team is functioning well.


Translated by: AL


This was the second part of this interview. The remaining parts will follow in the coming days.

Read the first part here:
Messi (1): "I play the game by instinct"

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search