Wednesday 26 November 2008

Keita: "One hour before we know who will play"

Barcelona player Seydou Keita gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.





How do you deal with not being a fixed stater?
I was one of the last players who has arrived here so I still have to go through the adaptation process. Although I think no Barcelona player can consider himself a regular, we're all able to add something.

Not even Messi?
It's a different player, very important for the team, but it's clear that not even he can play every game.

Puyol and Touré don't travel to Lisbon.
That's what I'm saying. There's a lot of quality in the squad and we all have to be ready because we will have opportunities.

Without Touré, there's a big chance you'll play as defensive midfielder against Sporting...
Sergio Busquets is also there. And I can play higher on the left. The coach has a lot of options and until one hour before the game, we don't know who will play.

This uncertainty until the last moment doesn't have a bad effect?
The opposite. I think it's a good thing because it keeps all the players focused and you're avoiding that those who won't play let themselves go.

We knew that you could play several position in midfield, but it was a surprise to see you play the last twenty minutes against Getafe as left back defender.
Well, for me it was a surprise too. It was the first time in my career that I played as full back. When Gudjohnsen came on for Sylvinho, I was the only left-footed player left on the pitch. We hadn't prepared it though.

So you never practised as left back defender with Guardiola?
No. Every game is different and on Sunday it was necessary that I played there. The coach explained it to me and that's it. I suppose that this won't happen in a normal game, it was an experience for me but I don't think it will be repeated a lot.

You sure gave some of the best crosses of the game...
I tried to give my best, but as left back you have tasks that I'm not used to do. It's not easy.

Getting that first spot in the Champions League group is crucial for the next round opponent. You can't fail in Lisbon.
In Lisbon or anywhere else. When you play at Barcelona, you have to go out trying to win every game. We'll try to secure that first place.

You prefer 'Keite' or 'Keita'?
Puyol calls me 'Keite', in Catalan. It's more like a joken, because they do it in a televison program. I saw it once. I don't mind.

It's an example of the good atmosphere there is in the squad?
When I was going to sign for Barcelona, people told me that the atmosphere wouldn't be easy in such a big club, but it hasn't been complicated. There's a great atmosphere, with a lot of joking. After only three months, Puyol is a great friend, but I'm getting along very well with everybody.



This was the second and last part of this interview. Read the first part here:
Keita: "I hope to get better than last year"

Read more interviews with Barcelona players here

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search