Wednesday 12 November 2008

Hleb (1): "I still need some more time to adapt"

Barcelona player Alexander Hleb gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





Three-four months ago, when the team prepared the season in Saint Andrews, you seemed a bit lost. How is the adaptation process going?
Better every day. A lot better. I still don't speak the language, but I'm happy in Barcelona. I'm fine. I don't regret anything.

You're aware that Guardiola has said publicly that you're a great football player?
It's fantastic that he says this about me. I have the impression that I have his full support and I want to give him back everything that he's been given me. I still need to adapt but I feel that Guardiola believes in me, he talks a lot with me, he supports me. The fans are also treating me very well. I want to pay them back. I know they believe in me. And that feels fantastic.

Guardiola thinks of you as a polyvalent player, who can play different positions, and now that Iniesta is injured, he will count on you...
I understand what he's asking but I still need some more time. This is a great club and I need to adapt. There are great players everywhere you look. I still didn't bring what is expected of me.

How do you know what you have to do on a pitch?
I learnt it over the years and Wenger has helped me a lot. When a game is getting difficult, you should be able to change the way of playing. Give more support to the player who has the ball, play faster or slower, make a dribble. That's not easy and after my injury it's all more complicated but I hope to make progress.

Of all the positions where you can play, which one do you prefer?
Wherever I play, I try to give my best. I've played a lot on the wing, but I think that I can play at every position.

You're having a good time with Barça?
Of course! It's fun to play with this team, but I think that I can do better and enjoy even more. Especially by scoring, I don't score enough goals.



This was the first part of the interview. You can read the second part tomorrow with Hleb talking - amongst other things - about having to sit on the bench and about the possible return of Cesc to Barcelona.

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search