Thursday 11 September 2008

Garay doesn't know why Barcelona transfer failed

In an interview with Catalan sports paper Sport, Racing Santander central defender and Real Madrid loan out Ezequiel Garay (21) talked for the first time about the fact that he was on the verge of joining Barcelona earlier this year before signing for Real Madrid (read more here).








How big was the disappointment when your transfer to Barcelona didn't go through?
I wouldn't want to call it disappointment. It's something from the past. It's true that I was very close to joining Barcelona, but for some reason the deal wasn't completed. I don't feel frustrated about that, I kept on working and was lucky to be able to move to Madrid.

Txiki called you to explain why the whole deal was cancelled?
No, I wasn't informed about the reasons. I guess they have their reasons, but I'm not aware of them. In any case, I'm grateful that a big club like Barcelona thought I could add something to their team. So I don't feel bad about it, I actually feel happy because they were interested.

Barcelona called you again when Milito got injured?
No, they didn't approach me another time. I only heard some rumours through the press. At that time, I was recovering from an injury myself, trying to get ready for the Olympic Games and I was picked up by Madrid.

You are especially motivated to play against Barcelona this weekend because you're owned by Real Madrid?
No, I will start the game with the same intensity as always. I will do the best I can, only thinking about my present club, Racing Santander. Barcelona's defeat in the first game could affect them but they have a lot of quality players who can decide a match. We must be aware about how to play against them if we want to get a positive result. We should wait for them to come, try to rob the ball off them and then quickly launch the counter attack.

Read more:
Why did Barcelona miss out on Garay?
Garay transfer is off
Case closed: Garay

6 comments:

Ramzi said...

Hey pep, how is it going:) the worst thing about this month is that its too busy to log to this blog;)
I think former coach hesitated to get garay because he felt if he get him then he need to offload marquez(I dont know y he thought so, but I read thid rumor) beside Tkixi had some conserns about garay injury, nothing certain but i heard so.
time will tell if henrique signing was better or it was just a respond to the garay delamina failure.

pep said...

The Santander president has said Barcelona couldn't pay a first shift, Laporta denied that. Will have the story one of the coming days.

What's wrong with September, by the way? College starts again?

Ramzi said...

NO, summer is usualy a low season for my work, I enjoy some rest but now I have to prepare both for a project in dubai and perminant move to sweden.

But in general I think after transfer period, guys r taking time to adapt with new debades, and the pause of games after first week because of international make them lazy to interact, but they r edicted so will bounce back hungry to fight here .

pep said...

Oh yeah, I'm sure the coming months will be more calm. Also gives me some more time.

How is your Swedish going? Huur moor du? Or something like that...

Ramzi said...

Dont ask hehe...thats the sickest language on the planet man - just dont tell my wife i said so...

I think focusing on preview analysis for games, then analysing the game after ward will be the most active issues to focus on, soon the team will start playing wednesday/sunday, meaning 2 prematches and 2 after matches analysis per week, i think thats what fans will be so interested to discuss later, of course beside the general news surrounding the club, plus some other football issues that may not be about barcelona exclusively but football in general that will end up effecting barcelona as a member of the game, something like how the huge investments in football - like UK will effect the game? Will it be the era of new football giants that will replace the historical ones?and so on...

I wonder if You made a facebook group for your blog, it will help promoting it, beside if u join groups with football/barcelona interest there, i think that- with time- will generate new visitors to your blog, just an idea.
I can c the effort u r making here man, I only had time to design my blog and post few stuff then, thats it!

pep said...

I totally agree we should have decent pre- and post-game analyss, but I think I will have to bring someone in to do that, someone who could exclusively focus on that. If you want to do it properly you need time for that.

And facebook, yeah. I'm not really following that stuff but it probably could be good. Need to get some other stuff on the side first, but hope next month to finally launch a call for people wanting to help.

Keep practising meanwhile. Örebrö.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search