Friday 30 May 2008

Pique's first interview


New Barcelona defender Gerard Piqué gave an exclusive interview to the club's official media. Some quotes:

How have these four years changed you as a footballer? Is it a different Piqué to the one who left 17 years ago?
“Yes, of course I’m different. I am still the same person, but a lot of things have changed personally and professionally. Living alone, going to a foreign country, being in a squad with a different culture, it makes you grow up and learn new things. And there were a lot of stars in the squad, the team has just won the European Cup and playing with them helps you to learn and grow up a lot.”

You have played with Messi. Are you excited about playing with him again?
“Yes, yes. I remember when we were young and wondering if we could do this professionally. What he does now is what he always did, and it was and will be a pleasure to be with him.”

Will your experience at Zaragoza help?
“Yes, of course. English and Spanish football are different in terms of characteristics and the playing style and you do need to adapt, I know that. I already know a fair bit about what football is like here.”

Have you spoken to Milito?
“Yes. He got injured and we spoke, he’s a great player. We became good friends at Zaragoza, we used to room together and we understood each other, he is a magnificent person. I hope he recovers quickly because he is a basic element of the team.”

Some of the fans don’t know much about you. How would you define yourself?
“1.90, very tall. I play well up front, I can play at centre back or in midfield, I like to play the ball from the back, that’s what they taught me at Barça.”

Where can you still improve?
“You can always improve whatever your age. At 21 I have experience, but need more. Work with both feet, left and right. There are always tactics and skills to learn. The best players are still learning when they are 35.”


Read the whole interview here

Read the first Seydou Keita interview here

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search