Tuesday 15 July 2008

Guardiola's first day at the office

On the first day of the pre-season, new Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola gave yesterday a press conference answering questions on the current situation of the team and the club. Some quotes:



On the first day: "We looked each other in the eyes and we said hello. I've welcomed them and started talking with some of the guys I didn't got to know yet. We've talked about what we all wanted and how the group should be organized. It was just a first contact and I felt good about it."

On the centre forward: "I'm not worried that we didn't yet bought a striker. I know it's not always easy and that a transfer can take some time, but it's not a problem if we don't get one. I'm satisfied with the squad. With the team I have now we can get far and compete with anyone."

On Ronaldinho and Eto'o: "We don't count on them while preparing the season, but if they stay in the end they will be welcome and we will do everything that is needed to make them play at their top level. I think that Ronaldinho will leave the club in a positive way and that everyone will keep a good memory of him."

On Jorquera, Milito and Touré: "They are coming back from long and serious injuries but things are looking rather good. We shouldn't hurry and give them all the time to recover so they don't drop back. We'll see if one of them could be ready for the preliminary round of the Champions League."

On Henry: "Henry can play both in the centre as on the wing but I plan to use him as centre forward. I expect a lot of him. I've talked to him, I know his first year wasn't easy but even then he scored a lot of goals. I really believe in him and I want to give both him and Bojan an important role."

On his coaching experience: "I know that I'm only 37 and that I don't have much experience. Maybe some wanted a weaker coach but bad luck to them because that's not the way I am and I'm convinced that I will make them all work hard."

On his way of playing: "I know how I want to play and train. We have to dominate the games, play attractive football, attack well, defend well, think about the group. Normally that takes some time, but we know we don't have that. I hope to start seeing some of the things in the first friendly game so we can be as good as possible in August for the Champions League qualification."

Read more:
A first look at the Guardiola project

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like what Guardiola has to say. He understands the value of working hard, and he also comprehends the political situation, in his admission that they don't have time to build together and gel, as many teams with so many new faces would.

I also like his comments about making Henry/Krkic the "9." He's right about the team that he has being competitive anywhere in the world. It's a strong, deep side.

Keita will also ensure that Yaya can take his time and get completely healthy. I'm still salivating over the midfield lockdown that will happen with both Keita and Yaya in there. I'd see that as a Champions League midfield in which we've won the first leg, and want to ensure that the other team doesn't come close to goal in the second leg.

I'm excited, and anticipatory of seeing them when they come to Chicago on August 3.

Anonymous said...

Barca are not going to win anything this season and Messi would be off to Inter.

Anonymous said...

It depends on how the team gels. Villarreal achieved their status last season only because of our implosion. I don't expect the same thing to happen this season. The players have too much pride, and the negative influences have been eradicated. It might just be Copa del Rey, but I expect some sort of silver this season.

With the amount of money we've given Messi, and the attendant transfer fee we've slapped on him, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He isn't Barca in the way that Puyol or Xavi are, but he's close.

crd said...

Inter fan fuck off

Anonymous said...

I really like what he says. Hope he is true to his word

cojonudo said...

The thing that most impresses me so far is that Pep has a "plan" and a set "vision" of what he expects from himself and the club. Sure, some of his comments regarding a change in training and attitude were obvious to everyone after last season. Hard work alone won't accomplish anything if there isn't a systematic, detailed plan in place. And I believe that even before Pep took the job he was already furiously jotting down notes, watching tape and was already formulating a course of action for next season. And maybe his biggest "trait" to date is that even with his relative lack of managerial experience he is portraying himself outwarding with confidence! When he talks about the plans for the team you get the impression that he knows what he's talking about and he BELIEVES in it. And if he can make the players "buy in" to his phylosophy and system then I fully expect Pep to have a great deal of success with the club. The players are already "hungry" and motivated after last year's embarrasment. But instead of coming out with a ton of misdirected energy, it will be up to Pep to guide them in the right direction so their efforts are not wasted.

As a side note, I may completely alone in this thinking but I firmly believe that Henry's in for a BIG year! Finally getting the opportunity to play his preferred central striker role and not having to look over his shoulder. Also having a year under his belt to learn the Barca "system" AND coming into the season fully fit unlike his arrival last season. I believe he's out to prove to his critics that he's far from washed up. Sure, he may not be as dynamic as he once was, but you don't go from being a Lamborghini to a Fiat overnight either. Henry's still got some left in the tank and hearing Pep's words of encouragement and how much he's counting on him for next season, I can only imagine that Henry is already psyched to get the season underway.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Henry is going to have a great season. Also hoping the same for Abidal. He was good at the beggining, but got worse every week, till he wanted Franky boy to put him on the bench, because he wasn't fit enough. Probably Rijkaards fault, since Abidal said practice was much harder at Lyon.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search