Friday 18 July 2008

Youth: Josua Benitez (Laguna)

Canary Islands regional newspaper El Día reports that Barcelona has transferred Laguna central defender Josua Benítez Cruz (16), who made last season his debut with the first team of Laguna in the Spanish fourth division.


In an interview with the paper, Josua the player explains how everything went: "Barcelona became interested in me after a game against Tenerife B. They saw me there and started following me. A Barcelona scout told me that they wanted me to perform a test and I accepted. I stayed there for one week with a lot of training sessions.

At the end, they told me that they wanted me to go and play a tournament with them. We played five matches there and that's when they offered me a transfer. Since Barcelona is my club and I've always dreamt about defending their colours, I didn't have to think much about the proposal. I also want to thank Laguna for not obstructing my move to Barcelona.

I will have a contract for three years plus an option for another year. I will play with the Juvenil B, which is my age category, although everything will depend on the progress I will make. I hope everything turns out well and that I will be part of the first team squad one day.

I don't know exactly when I will travel to Barcelona, but I think it will be around the 6th of August. Before that date, a Barcelona official will pass by so the contract can be signed.

In principle I will go alone to Barcelona. Of course I will miss my family but when you want to reach something in football you must be able to sacrifice some things. But my parents and my brother plan to visit me regularly. And there are eight canary guys at the Barcelona youth academy and I'm sure that Jeffren and Pedrito, who play for Barcelona B, will also help me."

Read more:

Read all Youth transfer stories here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome....I mean Pep's mancrush for central defenders...

we have 20 central defenders of the future now...enaugh is enaugh.

Marcus said...

I don't think Pep pushed for this guy. Maybe when he was in Barca Atleti but not now when he is in controll of the first string and focusing on putting togheter that team.

Great blog "Pep". I have followed it from the very first post actually but this is my first comment. Great job, keep up the good work from Sweden where polar bears walks on the streets...

pep said...

Thanks, Marcus. Still going strong. One day you'll be able to say "I was there with pep from the very beginning! I actually made him who he is now!!!"


Sweden we only know as the country where people run out of their sauna's, do a little tango dance and then commit suicide in the woods. Oh no wait, that's Finland. Huur moor du? Broa tack!

Anonymous said...

Haha damn thats awesome that you are from sweden! ;) And i just came home from finland yesterday! jag åkte Silja Line, sov typ 1 timme -.-

Custom Search
 
Custom Search