Friday 20 February 2009

Iniesta: "The Liga title is the most important one"

Barcelona player Andrés Iniesta gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





It's been a month since you re-appeared against Mallorca in the league. How are you feeling? (note: the interview dates from before his new injury)
Very well. I was focused on gaining my form little by little and getting back into the rhythm of matches. The matches in January and the training sessions have helped me improve to get into top shape.

What are your personal expectations in the current 2009 season?
My goal is to show the best I have. The team is working well and this helps each player to play at their best.

Do you get the impression that the supporters appreciate you more now than before you got injured? It seems like after losing you for a few months, there have been culés that have valued you much more...
To me, it's been important to notice all the support on behalf of the fans every time that I've played in the Camp Nou after my injury. I always knew that the supporters cared, but you never knew how they would react after some time without playing and it's been very special. I'm very grateful.

On top of that, your comeback couldn't be better, a goal against Mallorca and three important points...
It was very emotional. Since I was promoted to the first team, the fans have been with me and without a doubt, it's motivating when the fans appreciate you. Although, the satisfaction of the supporters enjoying the team is much more important. We're playing well and we hope to maintain a good streak until the end.

Are you one of the people that dares talk about the treble or is it better to stand by Guardiola's message of caution?
Everyone dreams and I think that it's good to hope to do something great. Obviously, there are many matches left, and the path is still long and it's true that everything is going great, but we're still far from any treble. Still, we're aware that a club like Barça can't go a third year without winning any title and we're going to aim for it in any way possible.

If you only end up winning the Liga title, which is the title that gets closer by the day, do you think that the supporters may feel a bit disappointed?
To me, the Liga title is the most important one. It's a result of an entire year's work and it would be a great achievement to win it. The Spanish league is a difficult championship to obtain and it's very prestigious.

In the last FIFA World Player voting process, your name finally came up within the first nominees and your worldwide recognition has finally taken off. Is this finally fair? After many years with the spotlight on other players that seemed more important to the media.
That's something that I never stopped to think about before or now. What I'm interested is in playing well with my team and winning many titles with Barça. Obviously, everyone wishes to have their work recognized and to be on those lists, even though I insist that first and foremost I'm concentrated on the team's game and the best for Barca.


Translated by: Al


This was the first part of this interview. You'll be able to read the second part in the coming days.

Read more:
Iniesta: "Victor Valdes is great at one on one's"
Medical: Iniesta out for two weeks
Busquets: "Sometimes I think I'm dreaming"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iniestaa !! You are one of the best player Barca & Spain have. Keep it up bud and if i were rich, could have made a statue of yourself !! Thanks 4 the good work Adres Iniesta.

Tohar Investment Limited said...

iniesta,what a blow for us that u are injured again,i think we really need u for the derby,but pls pray for ur team mate,we must win this derby so as not to be destracted,iniesta is the most influental player in barca for me,followed by leo messi,hen xavi,dani alves.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search