Tuesday 17 February 2009

Eto'o: "I can still go higher"

Barcelona player Samuel Eto'o gave an interview to French sports site Sportweek.





You will soon turn 28. People say that's the age of maturity for a football player, and more in particular for a striker. Does that scare you?
No, '28 years, the age of maturity', that's just one of these expressions. I myself know that I can still go higher. I'm proving it this season. last summer, I wasn't really welcome at Barcelona. Some people within the club had doubts on me because I suffered a serious injury and it took me some time to return. Nowadays, nobody has doubts anymore. But that's football. people forget very quickly and you always have to proove yourself, show who you are, what you're capable of. Every day, on training. Nothing is given to you.

Not even to you?
Not even to me.

What could prevent Barcelona from becoming the Spanish champions?
We ourselves could. We have such an enormous series of wins that there's a risk we loose focus. We're close to perfection, we're playing incredibly well but that's all fragile. That shouldn't be forgotten.

Last november you said that the team that won the Champions League in 2005-2006 was better than the team of this year. You've changed your mind?
No. We didn't win anything yet. And that's the only thing that matters when judging the quality of a team.

How would you describe the harmony you seem to have inside?
Harmony, that's knowing where to go on the pitch and when to do it. When I watch Leo Messi or 'Titi' make a move, I know what they want to say and instictively I know where to go to. But it's not like that every Sunday. It's enough that one of us is not on top to make everything more complicated.

Olympique Lyon can eliminate you from the Champions League?
In theory we should be a little better but honestly, that doesn't mean anything. They also have great players.

That's just waffle. Which Lyon player would for example have a spot at Barça?
Impossible to say. In football, it's all about adapting. Without thinking too much: Benzema, Juninho and Jean II Makoun.

Jean II Makoun? You're just mentioning him because he's one of your Cameroon friends...
He's a very close friend of mine, but I also think he's a great player who at this moment isn't showing everything he's capable of. If he would be able to join a really big club, that would change a lot of things. I'm not saying that Lyon isn't a big club but there's still a higher level.

Some short questions at the end. How many mobile phones do you have?
Approximately 400. I collect them. It's really a bad obsession.

Who's the most famous person in your directory?
Georgette, my wife.

If there would be made a movie about your life, who could play you?
Denzel Washington. I've adored him in 'American Gangster'.

If you would meet God, what would you like him to say to you?
That I will live long and that I will be able to see my children grow up.

Why did you refuse to pose with the Barcelona shirt?
I don't like players who kiss their shirt after having scored, while the next day they wouldn't hesitate one second about joining another club if they're offered a few millions more. For me, the club of my heart is Mallorca and at this moment I'm working for Barça. That's all.


This was the second and last part of this interview. Read the first part here:
Eto'o: "I already made a decision on my future"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, its a bit tricky, but it depends on how you see it.
I am sure the guys who said he "said something" in this 2nd part of the interview were talking about the last question and especially his response.
I think he is "correct". players have clubs they love/support. Imagine Fab signing for Madrid, the Madrid fans would know his heart would forever be wiv Barca. I dont really like the badge kissing too (in most cases), cos the next day, they are gone. Adebayour kissed the arseanl badge a few days after he refused to committ his futrue to Arsenal. Love is meant to be for life. True love never dies. I like my employers but I dont love them.. no crime in that. I hope he renews and give another 2-3 years.
I (as a fan and not an employee like sammu) LOVE BARCA.

Unknown said...

I think he wants to leave...
he is very arrogant...

Anonymous said...

I think he's just being honest and I tend to like that.

kamikaze kontiki said...

He is arrogant. But its an arrogance we know and are used to and also one we have channeled effectively both in the past and present. Even if he asks for a higher salary it still works out more economical than buying a new player and paying him a high salary. I think we should give him a new contract with marginally higher wages but only a short one, say till 2012 so that he is left dangling in the same position and is motivated to prove himself over and over again.

ilias said...

Can someone please translate this short clip?

My Spanish is bit rusty nowadays. :)

veterant said...

how many goals will eto'o score in all competition this season?

Tohar Investment Limited said...

eto'o is set to leave and i can see that.but i promise him if he goes to malloca he will never score barca,so arrogant

Unknown said...

Have you guys seen how he was treated this summer? He knows that no one wants him when he was injured, especially Pep, he is 28 he will like to sign a 4 or 5 years deal with Milan hopefully.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search