Tuesday 7 October 2008

Messi: "I hope that this is our season"

Barcelona player Lionel Messi gave an interview to the club's official media.
Some excerpts:



Is Guardiola different as a coach who focuses on the mental preparation and motivation of his players?
Yeah, that’s the most important thing. He’s very close to the players and is just like another squad member, another player. He stays close to us and is always giving us instructions and showing us what he wants.

Did the fact that Guardiola let you go to the Games mean you are even more committed on your return?
He had a lot to do with it and I thanked him at the time. It went well for me and so I’m grateful to him for giving me the chance.

You have a new team-mate on the right in Alves. Do you two understand each other on the pitch?
Both on and off the pitch. I was especially pleased we signed him because he’s a great player and plays on my side of the pitch. It’s always easy to understand great players. Plus we’ve got on really well since he’s been here, and even though I’m Argentine I’ve always got on well with Brazilians so there’s no problem there.

What do the players think of Guardiola’s rotations policy?
I think it’s a good thing, because all of us get to play. We have a lot of games this season and it’s great if the entire squad is ready to play at any time. That motivates people because you never know who’s going to be on the team sheet. New lads are always coming in and it’s good to be focussed for the next game in case it’s your turn to play.

This year you’ve often played just behind the front line, but that’s not new for you.
No, in the youth sides I often played there but it was a little different as I had a point of reference ahead of me. I like playing there. I like starting from a little further back and pressing through. I’m happy there but I’ll always play where the boss tells me to.

Do you decide where to put a penalty before you shoot or do you wait to see which way the keeper goes?
Normally I look at the keeper and try to wait until he goes one way or the other. However I’ve also chosen one side just in case he doesn’t commit himself.

You’ve been in Barcelona for 13 years. Is Catalonia now your home as well?
Yeah, I always say that. I’ve experienced a lot in Barcelona. I came here when I was very young and I’ve always said that I feel at home here.


You can read the entire interview here

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hope so.

But I really think if Barca wins the Liga, FUCKING Sucker Madrid will by players like C Ronaldo+1/2 players and Barca Should buy players too.
2 or 3 players should be on the list:
GK - not needed
CD - not needed
RB - not needed
LB - i think it's needed
CM - not needed DON'T sell YAYA TOURE
RW - not needed
LW - Will definetly need someone(Aguero,diego,di maria)
AM - not needed if diego/fabregas comes it will be perfect
ST - if aguero comes it will perfect

The rest Huntelaar is good but I do not think his style prefers Barca

Anonymous said...

How much longer does everyone think Messi will stay at Barca? I hate to say it, but it's inevitable that he will eventually leave. I think that if Barca wins the league this year he will be more tempted to try his luck somewhere else. I give him 2 seasons max. including this one.

Anonymous said...

I actually think the opposite, Mike. As long as he feels he can play for the trophies with us, I think he'll stay.

InieStar said...

Indeed Djoef.

There are slighty difference on players like Ronaldinho and Messi. Messi will hopefully be an ikon like Raul is for Real. Ronaldinho was beloved in his time for Barca, but he was not a product from our youth acadamy.

I believe Messi will as if he will be allowed it, stay the rest of his career in Barcelona. The club needs a type like him.

But again, that is one of the things a love about Barca, they have some many of their own players. And we have a lot of opcoming youngsters. Respect for those who work their way up. Takes a tremendous workload and mind to go that way up. Bojan have it and dos santos didn't. Even though you have managed to get to the first team, you still have to prove your worth and have patience. Otherwise the regular first team player will just bench you again.

Sorry for the offtopic.

And as many have said, i don't think there will be any transfers in the winter period in Barcelona.

Anonymous said...

Well, like everyone else, I hope he stays... unfortunately, I don't think Messi's father has the same allegiance to Barca as everyone would hope. He has said in the past that he would like to see Messi play in Italy, and I think he'll make that happen... if Barca wins another title, I think he'll feel as though he's reached his peak with Barca and want to move to another club. I don't thnik he's going to be another Xavi or Iniesta... he doesn't have the same dedication to Spain as them... he'll be more willing to go to another country.

Anonymous said...

I definetly don't think that one title this year would be enough to get Messi to start thinking about trying his luck somewhere else. I think that Messi is going to finish his career in Barcelona, and I certainly hope that I'm right.

Anonymous said...

Jester, I don't think we need a left back, because Abidal is starting to kick in at Barca, but if he starts to flunk again (not that I think that will happen) then we should go for a left back. Di Maria is still too young and besides we have the youth (gai) coming up soon as well as iniesta and henry. Also I don't think we need Diego and I don't think he would fit at Barca. On the left winger part I think that we should wait till next summer before we think who the left winger will be, but we'll probably need one. I also don't think we should get Fabregas, bcause we already have a player in that role (Xavi).
And Finally (sorry it's so long), Mike you're an idiot to actually consider Messi would leave Barca. We all know Messi is staying with Barca until he retires. I think there was an article way back about Messi saying he will stay in Barcelona and maybe one day he will be captain.

Sorry for going off topic and writing so much.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't get Fabregas... and I thought it was much but it wasn't...

Anonymous said...

You're right "Flippy"... I'm the idiot... I'm sure Messi will stay in Barcelona for 12 to 13 more years... in the meantime, here's a statement on the subject made by Messi's father/manager... but what does he know?

"...it's clear that playing in Italy is the dream of every player, including my son. And since no one knows what the future might hold, let's say that it's possible that this desire may come true sooner or later... But I repeat that things might change in the future."

I guess only time will tell.

Rory said...

a father and son disagreeing? I've never heard that before...

an agent trying to market his player to teams even if the player isn't interested? Now that's REALLY shocking.

Time will tell, but Messi's position at barcelona's pretty strong--something would have to change radically, imo, before he left.

Anonymous said...

People would have said the same thing about Ronaldinho two years ago... I think it's just as ridiculous to assume he's going to retire playing for Barcelona. I guess my question is answered though... it seems everyone thinks he is 100% dedicated to this club for the rest of his life. Pretty unrealistic in my opinion.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search