Friday 26 September 2008

Will Henry leave in January?

Asked if he could be tempted if a club like Manchester City would ask for him during the January transfer window (read more here), Barcelona forward and French international Thierry Henry (31) has said in an interview with Catalan radio station Catalunya Ràdio that he hasn't plans to leave:

"At this moment I'm not yet thinking about leaving Barcelona in the winter and I think this won't change. I don't know. In life there can happen things you don't expect. I didn't think that I would leave Arsenal either and look where I am now.

Physically I'm here but I have another life too. In fact, my life is in London because that's where my daughter is. I think about her, that's normal, but it doesn't affect me. I have to do my job and I know when I have to be focused. Despite that, I don't regret my transfer and I feel very good in Barcelona. The food, the weather and the city are incredible.

I understand the criticism I'm receiving because I didn't yet won anything with Barcelona and this needs to change this season. If Arsenal would have won the Champions League in 2006, I could have decided to move one year earlier. Now I didn't arrive in Barcelona at the right time because I was injured.

Rijkaard asked me if I was able to play and I didn't want to be out for three months just after arriving. For my body, it would have been better if I would have said no since I had been out for six months. Nobody forced me to play, it was my own decision and fault because I really wanted to play.

I prefer to play as a centre forward but the coach wants me on the wing. That's it, there's no problem. I met with the coach before the season. We talked about a lot of things, but I want to keep that between us. I don't like to think about the past, the things are how they are."

Asked about a possible exit in January, Henry didn't exclude a winter transfer in an interview with French sports paper L'Equipe if his situation wouldn't change in the coming months: "We should talk about it at that time then. I had a discussion with Guardiola before the season about my position. For me, that was very clarifying and I don't want to say more about it. This is what made me stay in Barcelona this summer despite having received several offers from the English Premier League. But I don't regret having stayed."

Catalan sports weekly paper Gol meanwhile claims that Henry has asked his agent to be alert in the coming months. The Frenchman wouldn't mind a quick exit because several of his sponsors have warned him that they won't accept another season like the previous one because of the further negative impact on his popularity. Henry would therefore be open to the possibility of entering in a players' exchange or a transfer to England or the United States.

Barcelona would have already been trying to sell Henry this summer but the operation was then blocked by new Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola.

Read more:
Manchester City will come after Henry in January
Barcelona would consider offer for Henry
Manchester United considering Henry bid

8 comments:

Ramzi said...

Glad that what i mentioned on this blog, before about henry, confirmed by his own words.
May be the things (between him and pepe) that he didnt want to say was the things I mentioned in that post, as an answer to my friend, Jacob:)

http://fcbtransfers.blogspot.com/2008/09/liga-4-barcelona-betis-2-3.html

Anonymous said...

Henry problem...well its a mix of everything, first of all I am not really a guy who feel excited to sign players who are on the other side of their career cycle to join high demanding teams like Barcelona, usually they don't have enough hunger to meet (sometimes unrealistic) demands of the teams fans.

But thats a side note actually, henry still have the quality, the first mistake was playing him in the beginning of last season when he was still injured (don't ever play a player whop is not fit, or not inform), his performance wasn't as expected, so the boosting energy of signing him collapsed, and instead of enjoying the fact that he is the best in the world, he became in a position to prove his worth, thats not something he is used to do, and he feel he is too good to be in that position.

secondly using him as a left wing, he is a player who need space to race the ball and turn defenders to shadows racing a shadow, not available for him in Barcelona where all teams park their busses in their box, his atributes dont fit those of a winger in spain, may be in england he would be able to succeed even as a wing, but in spain, as I mentioned before, scout the great wingers in spain, u will notice some common things between them all "slim bodies", thats not a coonsidance, thats what fit la liga style, a bulldozer will not work on a Spanish flank, u need a shorty to dribble with the ball glued to feet, not a "pacey" who throw the ball 10 meters forward and race it.

then this season, pep wanted eto out, and wanted another striker in, meaning a new guy in the hood, meaning that "this" new guy need time to adapt, and welling to be benched in his first year with the team (at least for the beginnings), and at the same time a new player mean a risk of flop, so pep felt it appropriate to promise henry he will play as a striker, it was obviously happening, but then! eto stayed, was a hit in preseason, so it turned to be the same old story for henry, play on the flank, still iniesta proved being the man for the left, so now henry feel he dont even guarantee a place there, and if he do, it will be as an alternative, i think thats what made him reveal.

I am not sure if he will become a secondary choice for pep, so he will get more upset, or he will rotate him with eto, and that may upset them both... long time ago I said, with all the new transfers, pep has great depth in the team, but also a big challange to satisfy them all, we will see how he will do it, if he did, some people may not notice because there will be no news to read, at that moment we here will give hiom that credit.
He can create a kind of rotation where henry play in iniesta position sometimes and cut inside as a second striker beside eto, while messi play behind them in a flipped triangle, and in other times play in eto place as a striker with messi cutting in as a second striker the way he is doing with eto recently, thats the best compromise I can c, not to satisfy the stars, but MOST IMPORTANTLY for the best of the team, then we will be less predictable and every one will be fresh, fit, and inform till the end of the season. keeping in mind that knowing u have a role make u motivated to compete to become the best in that role (so u get selected in the big games) but feeling u r behind no matter what cause more drop in form, something no coach wish for any of his players.

Note: I hope keeping henry on the bench last night was not a result of that interview, thats a way to explain using gudi and bojan instead, though I exclude that option because when the coach select players for a game he select those whom he know he may use (even coming from the bench as substitute), he never include a player whom he dont want to use.

Kamesh said...

I hope he stays and wins atleast a title with us. Coming from Arsenal where he is revered I can understand how difficult it might be for him to be heckled by the fans, but I dont think we will see very little of him this year. AS Kxevin would say "This is a long long season" and injuries will happen (or to avoid injuires players will be rested). I hope he keeps away from the media for some time and does all the talking on the pitch

Anonymous said...

henry is still one of the best players to play the game. what he did with arsenal was sublime. unfortunatly for him la liga isnt suited to his style. ok people say a great player is a player who can adapt to any situation but i dont think that holds as a rule. henry was unlucky; he was injured for most of last season; he joined a disfunctional team and the fans expected too much.

although i love having him at barca if someone came in with an offer of 16+ mil, then i would have to say to take it for 3 reasons - 1. he will not get back to the old henry at barca (age, position, competition all stopping him) 2. to recoup the money we spent would be very savy business 3. i'd love to see him go back to the EPL and get great again (as long as he doesnt do it to us) as it would be a shame for what has happened to ronaldo (proper ronaldo not the prima donna at man u) to happen to the other greatest striker of the last 20 years.

on a seperate note if they do plan to sell henry they need a replacement ready coz we would be to weak in forward position with just bojan and an injury prone etoo. preferably one who offers an alternative. any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Barca should (must) sell him while they can get a fair price. He's almost 32 and I don't see why should he stay at FCB. BTW, he's constantly out-of-form and it becomes irritating. If FCB can get around 15M for him, I say why not!? Only thing I'm frightened is who the hell will buy him.
OK guys, I must admit, I was one of his greatest fans, but to be frank, he PAST his best!
@sjp:yes, I have suggestions: for example, Luis Suarez and Huntelaar (both Ajax)-->FCB can get them for quite reasonable price (of course by selling Henry and Gudjohnsen), Palacio (Boca), Arshavin (still an option), Pogrebnyak (stronger and better than Pavlyuchenko)-I hope my choise is right.

wanted47 said...

Barca should keep their eyes on Pogrebnyak, Huntelaar or maybe Benzema(although too expensive). Pogrebnyak is the most underrated of them and also the cheapest but this guy is a big, strong scoring machine.

Unknown said...

I feel very sorry for Henry!!!I hope something works out for the good of the club and the player. However, I am tired of french reporters and personalities like Arsene trying to put pressure on Guardiola to play Henry in the middle. Last year Eto'o was injured for 4 months and left for an extra month for the African cup while Ronnie was out most of the year and Henry did not own that position. what is most puzzling to me is the fact that even at Arsenal where Henry played alone upfront he always looked more confortable attacking from the left wing. I strongly believe he is troubled by two things;

1. He is not the center of attention and Barca (it is pretty difficult for any one player to be) like he was at arsenal where the entire team played for him.

2.The spanish game just isn't working for him.
wish him all the best and I hope we win tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

If henry does go we should sign Aguero who'll be great for Barca he has a great understanding with Messi and is natural goalscorer he'll fit in great!!!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search