Tuesday 3 February 2009

Caceres: "Guardiola makes us all feel equal"

Barcelona player Martín Cáceres gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





The season is over half-way, how do you evaluate your adaptation to the city and the team?
The city is very nice and I feel very comfortable living here with my wife and my daughter. As for the game, it wasn't all that easy but I'm calm and very happy. It's about doing what the coach asks me and with the time passing I start to feel more comfortable.

What does Guardiola ask from you?
That we built up from behind the best we can can. The objective is that the forwards get the ball in the most precise way.

That's different from how your former teams played?
Before, they asked me more to play a long ball. At Barça it's very different. The team tries to play in a nice way and if it's possible to win with a lot of goals, that's even better. They ask more from you because of everyting this club stands for.

Guardiola has made the whole squad feel important?
Yes, he has. Pep transmits to us that we all can play and everyone feels involved. He makes us all feel equal.

Regarding Sunday's game, which message would you like to sent to the fans who haven't yet seen you play a lot?
That one always tries to do the best he can. When you don't get many chances, you want to do a lot when you play and you can make mistakes. Despite that, I can say to the people that I'm just a hard worker, like all the others, and that I will defend the colours of this club until the end, like all my team-mates are doing.

In the cup game against Atlético you missed two easy passes but later you were very solid in marking Agüero. Your character is your main quality?
I admit I made two mistakes that day that could have cost us the win, but I'm not a guy who bails out or who feels bad because of a mistake. In the second half, I tackled Agüero because that's what I needed to do. Although it's true that players look more closely to the negative things, the things they can improve, than to the positive things.

The attitude of the fans in the Camp Nou can make you nervous?
A pitch like ours can always have an influence on you, because of all the people that come to see us and the pressure this brings. When you fail, you can get nervous but during the game this disappears. I've changed from playing in front of 20 000 people to playing at the Camp Nou and i'm very happy. I like the pressure of competing for every trophy.

You dare to talk about the treble?
Pep tells us that the club never won it and that we have to try our best, but always thinking about the next game. You have to go step by step. Now we will play a cup game, then it's back to the league trying to extend our lead and later we have to qualify in the Champions League. The group knows they can make history and will do everything to make it happen. It's difficult, the season is very long, but being able to win the three trophies is in the back of all our heads.

Guardiola always slows the euphoria down but it should also be clear to you that you're doing a good job...
Of course. Things are going well for us. If we would lose our focus, it would be worse, as we saw in the cup game against Espanyol were we had problems when they came back 3-2. To avoid that things like that happen, Pep is right on top and keeps us going. He's very clear about that.

Guardiola is the best coach you have worked with?
Because of his ideas and his character, he's one of the best.

What has surprised you most about Barça?
The meaning of the club, the football project... They're always among the best and competing for the trophies. The fans, the pitch... Everything is great.

How is the atmosphere in the squad? They say that things changed a lot compared to last season.
I wasn't there last year but now the atmosphere is really good. There's no talking behind the backs. It's a happy and joyful squad.

Having youth players as captains makes the others more involved?
Puyol and the players who are coming from the youth academy feel the colours more and they push the rest to think like them.

You've already noticed you're part of "more than a club"?
Yes. Barça is not only football. There are also other sports and the greatness is that all are equally important.

What about the rumours that you could leave on loan at the end of this season?
I'm not thinking about that, I only think about Barcelona. I'm part of one of the best clubs in Europe and I feel good. I would like to defend the Barcelona shirt for the rest of my life.



Read more:
Henrique to return and Caceres to leave on loan
Caceres: "I don't focus on the first months"
Henrique: "I want to join Barcelona next season"

2 comments:

Filip said...

i like that guy. i hope he stays for a long time.

Subramanian said...

He has a very good attitude and i would like to give him more chances.He is a defensive guy though and cant be like Marquez.Perhaps Pep feels,he has more time on his hands to learn to attack and pass well too.I think him and Henrique should be kept.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search