Friday 6 February 2009

Benzema could stay one more year at Lyon

Asked about the rumours linking him with several European top clubs, among which Barcelona (read more here), Olympique Lyon forward and French international Karim Benzema (21) has said in an interview with French sports paper Aujourd'hui Sport that he could well stay another year with Lyon:

"I'll wait to see how we will do in the Champions League before I make a decision. I feel good at Lyon so I don't know if I will leave. I actually think I will stay one more year at Lyon. Although I will leave some day. One has to leave France to reach a higher level. And that's my goal. So one day I will play abroad.


Lyon is a big cub but there are others. I want to win a lot of titles, a World Cup, a European championship, and so on. I want to build a legacy. And I would like to win the Ballon d'Or. I will work very hard, I will go beyond my limits trying to hold that trophy one day.

Meanwhile, I really would like to win the Champions League with Lyon. And why not this year? At this moment, Barcelona is the best club in Europe. All those who play against them, lose with four goals. But they can have a bad moment, why not against us? We will have to attack. If you only defend against them, you take eight goals. The teams who play with everyone at the back, get three goals in five minutes. That's stupid."

Read more:
Cash plus Abidal bid for Benzema on the table
Lyon wants to resign Abidal next summer
Barcelona working on Benzema transfer

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I really love his statements about on Barça.

Anonymous said...

Well actually the teams that try to play us and dont stick everybody behind the ball end up getting whipped! Just ask Athletico Madrid or Valencia. So it would be great if Lyon came out to play!! :)

Anonymous said...

hey pep..i wanted to knw is barca the only club with a footbaling culture i.e. attacking style , short passes etc.. in the world....

coz i dont really hear any other clubs talking abt their footbal culture...

for example, gurdiola said that always going forward is a danger but that he cud not change that in barca coz of their football philosophy...

this kinda shows somethin unique in barca...

what u guyz think???

Anonymous said...

Yes psyched,

Liverpool and Chelsea, well English clubs in general (minus Arsenal) play long balls to the attackers or shoot from distance otherwise defend in numbers. They rely mostly on the physical strength of the CF and CBs so basically wrestlers at the back and one tall wrestler for CF to head it in. Italian clubs are similar in that defense is first but when in possession the try to bore the other team (and viewers) taking their time to build their attack according to the coaches tactics, much like chess. So generally: English = physical. Italian = Tactical. Spanish = Technical.

Ofcourse this is in general doesn't apply to any match for example if Man U play Wigan they will attack mostly but not against Liverpool etc.

Anonymous said...

I think he is waiting for Madrid to be honest. Its a real shame too- if he had his act together and came to Barca he would be incredible...

As for football cultures- Arsenal are the only team in England who preach and live by this culture... Barca are the best at it. I truly do not understand how people can love teams like Liverpool ManU Chelsea and some of the Italian teams... They are a disgrace to the Beautiful Game.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search