Thursday 5 February 2009

Piqué: "Now I want to score in the Bernabeu"

Barcelona player Gerard Piqué gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





Last Thursday, the game against Espanyol was a close shave to say the least. Did you guys suffer as much as the crowd did?
Yes, we had a difficult moment, but it was more a physcological thing than anything else. When we were up by two goals, we knew the game and the control were ours. But it's clear that if they would have got a draw and eliminate us, we would be reminded of that game for many years. We would have been the team that let Espanyol come back from a 3-0.

You were happy to score?
I'm a Barça fan and I am aware of the rivalry between the two clubs, I've lived it for many years in the youth competitions. I did want a goal, but a defender also likes to score, no matter who the opponent is.

Against whom would you most like to score?
Against Real Madrid of course. Now I want to score a goal in the Bernabéu.

Piqué, stop dreaming and let's get back to reality. How has the season been going for you so far?
Incredible, phenomemal, I could use other words, but they wouldn't sound as nice. In half as season I have played more games for Barca than I did in Zaragosa. Everytthing goes perfect and I feel happy at this club.

Could you go into detail, please?
You can see the results yourself. We are playing great and it's always a pleasure to play in a team that is winning. Then you have the team-mates, who are great, i play at the club of my life and I have a coach whom I like a lot...

Oh, stop flattering!
I'm not. Since the first day, he convinced us. Pep has been brilliant. if I should tell you about the coaches I've had...

Here, in Manchester United, where?
No, I refer to others, with whom I have also won titles.

The liga is already won?
No way, and I mean it. In Pamplona we almost lost the three points, and Real Madrid would then have been only nine points away.

And that would have been a drama?
No, we are prepared to loose. I only mean to say that there have been teams that have played very well for some time, but a stroke of bad luck have seen them fall down.

Examples,Piqué,examples...
Real Madrid under Carles Queiroz, the galactico era. They were leading the league, they were in the quarter finals in the Champions League, and were playing the final in the cup against Zaragoza who were playing bad. Zaragosa eventually won, and from there their downfall started. We cannot let that happen to us, can we?

Do you feel tired?
We played 8 games in 24 days and I can be tired but on matchdays, I'm fine. Our squad is physically very fit. We may not be as fresh as we were in November or as we will be in April, but we're very strong. We're deciding our last games in the second half and that shows our intensity.

Now that we are speaking of intensity, tell us more about your conversation with Puyol on the field?
Puyol is the greatest. It feels comfortable to play alongside him, but you have to listen to his yellings all the time. He's screaming the whole game; You cannot, for a second, lose track of what is going on. That's impossible because I always have to listen to the same song from behind: "Geri, Geri, Geri!!!!" And I turn to reply: "What happened?" And he says: "Nothing, just be attentive". The other day, winning 5-0 at Depor and going off the boil for the final five minutes, he still started a fight.

So you are not the only "pain in the neck" of this squad...

You say this because of what they say Henry said... (more here)

You're such a smart guy.
Well, I always got very good grades in school, unfortunate that football got in the way between me and the road to knowledge (laughs). Regarding Henry, we'll see each other in the dressing-room but I can tell you that this kind of treason by a companion doesn't feel good (more laughs). I will pay him back (even more laughs).

Are you happy?
I turned 22 on Monday and I have scored a goal against Espanyol. What do you think?


Translated by: Anik


Read more:
Pique: "Milito is like a mentor to me"
Quote of the day: Henry
Henrique: "I want to join Barcelona next season"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he's happy...

Anonymous said...

He couldn't have dreamt of a season like this...

Anonymous said...

clown!!!

Anonymous said...

hahaha very funny, lets see what happens to henry >:D

Anonymous said...

Its always good to have a clever guy like pique around to keep everybody in good spirits.

My favourite quote

"Puyol is the greatest. It feels comfortable to play alongside him, but you have to listen to his yellings all the time. He's screaming the whole game; You cannot, for a second, lose track of what is going on. That's impossible because I always have to listen to the same song from behind: "Geri, Geri, Geri!!!!" And I turn to reply: "What happened?" And he says: "Nothing, just be attentive". "

LOL.

Louis said...

sport's interviewing quality is really bad

Iason said...

I guess he has fulfilled his dream!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search