Monday 19 January 2009

Valdes: "Winning games doesn't mean anything"

Barcelona player Víctor Valdés gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





What has changed and made the team look totally different in just a few months time?
There has been a lot of talk about the changes during the summer but I think that there has been a lack of respect towards certain people who aren't there anymore but who gave a lot to Barça.

You're talking ablout Frank Rijkaard?
For example. He did important things and now he has to hear all this. Things are being said about his period at the club that are totally incorrect and false. I'm one of those who think that we should respect Frank and his work more.

The criticism hurts you?
Rijkaard was very important for me. He was the only one who believed in me in difficult moments and who stood up for me. It offends me when they say that he didn't work enough...

Difficult moments? But Rijkaard wasn't the one who gave you a spot as starter.
Without him, I wouldn't be where I am now. Without his confidence at certain moments, something only I know about and that no one will ever know, I wouldn't be where I am. He put his trust in me and he held on to me at important moments.

You're talking about football problems?
No. I only know what it's about.

And what do you think when Guardiola says that he puts on "Valdés and ten others"?
It was something that made me feel proud, but I don't think it's really like that. I can only thank him for those words but all are equally important at Barça.

Everything is easier with a phenomenon like Messi?
It's a star. I'm not surprised about what he's doing because I knew what he's capable of and everything turns out well for him. He's showing who he is. I hope he'll keep on being as important for the club during many more years.

You feel accomplished?
I will when we win the final in Rome, the Liga and the Copa. Winning games doesn't mean anything to me. I only care about winning trophies.

It motivates you that you could repay Madrid for the tribute?
Those things don't happen often but you have to take it like a sportsman. I'm a winner although I can accept a defeat. I accepted that we had to pay tribute and I didn't have problems with it. It was a difficult moment as a culé but looking further beyond this primary reaction, I'm a correct sportman.

How would you describe yourself?
I'm a stable and disciplined person although I sometimes react a little too impulsively.

You turned 27 recently, you 're more matured now?
I hope not. I only wish that I have a lot of years left in my football career.

But matured doesn't mean retired.
I passed through a first learning stage. I'm more matured every year. This year I'll do things that aren't good, other things will get better but one always learns new things.

You wanted to be one of the captains. It was time?
Not at all. It's about length of service. Ronnie left and Andrés and I moved one place up. I'm very proud and I hope to do well.



This was the second part part of this interview. You will be able to read the third and last part in the coming days with Valdés talking -among other things- about his friendship with Iniesta and about his hobbies.

Read the first part here:
Valdes: "I'm not only looking at the money"

Read more:
Barcelona working on Valdes renewal
Puyol: "At the end, the best team always wins"
Barcelona rejects Tottenham offer for Valdes

4 comments:

kamikaze kontiki said...

He claims he isn't looking only at the money but clearly he is looking mostly at the money. His contract negotiations have hit a hiccup because he wants to be paid as much as Casillas. I hope we sign Asenjo first. I think negotiations with Valdes will then be much easier and it might also improve his performances on the pitch.

Anonymous said...

Valdes words about Rijkaard - of course all culés need to respect Rijkaard.

He brought two leugetitles and one CL to the club, and all that with a brilliant fotboll, and also after many bad years for the club.

I will remeber Rijkaard for what he woned, and not only the period after.

Valdes is not the only one that charges money. Xavi did it for one month ago and not many people complained.

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at some video of the 2006 champions league campaign and it is easy to forget with all the current excitement about the man who started the work, frank rijkaard. A truly classy guy. The fairytale turned to a nightmare for frank and ronaldinho and i suppose all good things come to an end, but we should not forget rijkaard and ronaldinho and all they have done to bring the smiles back after 4 years of hardship.

I've grown to like valdes more and more and i feel that we should renew his contract. he has made some critical saves that have won the day for us and despite the odd mistake once he is focussed he is a very good gk.

kamikaze kontiki said...

No one is likely to complain for anything Xavi asks. He is the best in the world at his position. Valdes wouldn't make it to the Spanish national squad. He is error-prone and he refuses to work towards improving. Back-passes have to be rolled to him at the pace a toddler would need and his decision making on crosses and corners is horrible. Somebody find me a video of a corner he has managed to collect without dropping the ball. Even if you are his most fervent supporter would you want to pay him 9 million- on par with Casillas ?

Custom Search
 
Custom Search