Friday 14 November 2008

Deco (2): "The media pressure at Barca is huge"

Former Barcelona player Deco gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.


(read the first part of the interview here)


Is Barca more than a club?
Barca is a special club, yes, because it represents a country, Catalunya. I experienced all of its atmosphere and it's an incredible club, everything that happens around it is a big deal. There are always a lot radio, televisions stations and newspapers following up on the club... Barca is always being talked about. Everything that happens with the club is followed very closely. Its a very special team.

Out of the entire blaugrana squad, who would you take with you to Chelsea?
Sshh. There are a lot of great players at Barca: Iniesta, Eto'o, Xavi, Puyol, Rafa, they are a great team.... but with out a doubt the best at this time not just at Barca but in Europe and the world is Leonel Messi. He is a different kind of footballer, an extraordinary player. If I had to choose, I would choose him of course.

Would you also give him the Golden Ball or would it be for your national squad teammate Cristiano Ronaldo?
If I had to choose fairly, I'd choose Cristiano Ronaldo. The Golden Ball is for the one that has had the best season, and Cristiano Ronaldo won the Champions League and the Premier League playing at high level, so I think it should be for him.

Would you come back to the Liga?
At this time I would not return to Spain. I am very happy to be here, in a great club that allows me to continue striving for the Champions.

Do you see winning the double again, like in Oporto and Barca, as feasible?
Why not?

What teams do you think are the toughest rivals for Chelsea in the Champions League?
I think the same ones as always: Manchester, Arsenal, Barca, Madrid, Inter... I think they would be the favored to win it.

That reminds me, why did you not leave with Mourinho, who helped you grow as a player, to Inter?
Because Chealsea has not won the league title in two years, and it is a challenge for me to win it, like what happened in Barca. It was a new goal and so I came to London.


Translated by: Mario


This was the second and last part of this interview.

You can read the first part here:

4 comments:

Ramzi said...

I wonder who will end up playing his role, Keita or hleb?

Ramzi said...

And sorry Gudi no offense:)

Anonymous said...

Iniesta ;)

Anonymous said...

Deco, he may have been sh*t at times but he was also brilliant at many other moments. There's no arguing the fact he had people talking about him, and that just means he was a true great.

Will forever be part of one of the best teams we ever had. Deco was class.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search