Wednesday 11 June 2008

Euro 2008: Spain-Russia (group D)

4-1. Great start by the Spaniards. Aragonés decided at the last moment to change his 4-1-4-1 by leaving out Cesc and putting Villa next to Torres and it worked. Although the Spanish defence looked sometimes unsecure and you should see what this could mean against a stronger opponent.

Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta started the game. The first two played the 90 minutes, Iniesta was replaced after one hour.

Xavi was impressive, he just ruled the whole midfield, certainly in the first half. Iniesta had to play from the right in a 4-4-2, he seemed somewhat unsettled in the beginning but when he and Xavi started to switch positions he came into the game and gave a wonderful assist for the second goal. Puyol was the best defender for me, was quite agressive and concentrated.


Read everything about Barcelona in the Euro 2008 here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wan't David and David in barca.
I'm sad they choose Keita and not Abelda, but Silva instead of Dinho and Villa for Eto'o.
Messi on the right and Bojan, and perhaps Assulin, as backup....

Anonymous said...

Villa sure will cost 5 million euro more after yesterday's performance...

harees said...

we need david villa and david silva.then our squad will be totally completed.

Anonymous said...

I have always loved David Villa, in fact someone said that Spain would thrash Russia because of Torres to which I responded "I would actually be more worried about Villa". I guess I was right hahaha. Seriously though, Barcelona needs Spanish players and these two guys(Villa and Silva) are just fantastic. I have always like Villa and would be overjoyed if he goes to Barcelona. I think with this 6+5 BS, it won't stick but if it does, Barcelona needs quality Spanish players.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a day late with the post Pep but I understand you're doing your best to update the site in as timely a fashion as possible...I'm happy with the performance of my fellow countrymen but I'm not going to start dancing ontop of tables just yet. History has shown me not to get my hopes up too soon. I know I should be more optimistic, but I don't want to have my heart ripped out of my chest by this team again. Suffice it to say I think Aragones may have "found" something in the partnership of Villa and Torres up front. But knowing the stubborness of Aragones I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if he reverted back to having Torres as the lone striker up front and Villa back on the bench. I just hope Spain wins the next match so that they can rest Torres and some of their key players for the knock out round...there I go again putting my foot in my mouth "expecting" them to advance. I should know better by now!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search