Tuesday 24 February 2009

Iniesta: "Each player must be a leader"

Barcelona player Andrés Iniesta gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





The player that is likely to take the throne as best player in the world for many years seems to be Leo Messi...
Hopefully he can do it. We're all seeing that he's an impressive footballer and I don't think it'll be a problem for him to win many titles. He deserves it more than enough.

What has this Barça squad changed in respect to last year's squad that marks such a big difference?
A little of everything. The atmosphere in the dressing room, the change of players... overall many things have happened and we have much hope. Everything is going great and we’re all happy to prove how our hard work is projected onto our results. The victories and titles are what really make a difference.

To the youth products, is it an extra incentive that Guardiola will pay back you or Victor Valdes with the armband as captains?
The importance that we have at a team like Barça is greater as time passes. Right now, we have many players from the club itself in the first team and we're all determined to push the team forward. The dressing room is very united, both the players from the youth team as much as the foreigners.

Do you now feel like a leader on the pitch?
I feel a bigger responsibility, but on the field nothing has changed. I like to play and give my very best on the field. I'm one of the people that believes that each player must be a leader at their position and be responsible for their role.

What does it mean to you seeing players like Pique, Busquets, or Bojan already integrated within the elite of the team?
It's an incredible joy for everyone: the club, the teammates, and the rest of the kids that play in the youth teams... To players that come from the lower ranks, just like I did, seeing examples of players making it to the top gives lots of encouragement.

Do the youth products make their special mark on the team?
It makes sense that the players that have grown in La Masia and have been taught the importance of Barca since young feel aware of the club's background. We're all very happy and there's much to be proud of, such as the calling up of Pique and Busquets to the national team, and things are going well.

From your words, I notice that you identify with this club like few do...
Man, it's because I've been at Barça since I was 12 and this club has given me so much. Everyone has always treated me well and hopefully I can be here forever to defend these colors. I don't see myself playing for any other shirt.

Recently, it was speculated that Florentino Pérez would try to sign Messi, a rumor that your teammate immediately snubbed. If any Real Madrid presidential candidate knocked on your door, what would you say?
The answer is clear and I wouldn't even bother responding. Barça is my club and I wouldn't like anybody to use my name to support their campaign.

I notice that you didn't like that the candidate Jose Antonio Camacho used your name for a previous campaign.
I don't like those kinds of situations and time eventually puts everything in its place. I'm happy at Barça. It's my club and anybody can say what they want.


Translated by: Al


This was the second and last part of this interview. Read the first part here:
Iniesta: "The Liga title is the most important one"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! hurry up and recover Don andres

Anonymous said...

You can't really compare players objectively, but often I fell lika Iniesta is the most iportant player for Barca. But like I said, if it isn't him is Messi, Xavi, Henry Eto'o As you see we have many to choose from :-). But Iniesta is really important for us...

Custom Search
 
Custom Search