Friday 16 January 2009

Jorquera won't leave in January

Asked about the rumours linking him with an exit (read more here), Barcelona goalkeeper Albert Jorquera (29) has said at a press conference that he will certainly stay until the end of the season:

"I will continue at Barça until the end of the season or until my contract expires. Goalkeeping coach Unzué and the manager have insisted that it's important that I continue with the team and in the end I have decided to stay.

Several clubs were interested in me over the last weeks and I already had informed the club about my plan to accept one of these offers. It was a way of getting some confidence by having more minutes and playing games in the first division.

I wanted to go on loan until the end of the season and then return in the summer for the last year of my contract. But the coaches assured me that they already know me well and that there's no need for them to see me play a number of games to have confidence in me.

At this moment I'm only thinking about Barça because there are important months and games ahead. I will now focus on competing to be the second goalkeeper. At the start of the season I was coming back from an injury. I'm now training at my best for two or three months and it's time to fight for that spot. The best will play.

At the end of the season, we'll again look at the situation. I don't think I missed the last train to be a first division goalkeeper. For a goalkeeper, I'm still young. The latest offers were good for me and for the club but I will surely have other chances in the future."

Read more:
Barcelona holds on to Jorquera
Jorquera is looking for a club in Spain
Sporting will try again for Jorquera

2 comments:

kamikaze kontiki said...

I thought it d better for him if Barca were to loan him out but the coaching staff seem very convincing in working towards achieving their objectives. So now, at least there will be competition for the 2nd GK slot. Maybe it will even work to put some pressure on VV.

Anonymous said...

I don't see the point in having 3 first team goalkeepers. It's extremely unlikely that both Valdes and Pinto get injured and we have pretty good goalkeepers in Barca B that can step in if that were the case.

I feel really sorry for Jorquera. He is a decent goalkeeper and he deserves to be a first team goalkeeper at some point in his career.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search