Monday 1 December 2008

Marquez: "Atlético Madrid wanted to sign me"

Barcelona player Rafael Márquez gave an interview to Spanish football weekly paper Don Balón.





Let's return to the unity in the squad. Piqué is a good example of the importance of having a good atmosphere in the group?
Yes, of course. He's a joker. But he doesn't do it with the objective of being noticed or he's not acting like someone he is not. He is like that and it's nice to have someone like him who brings joy to the group.

With which players do you feel most connected?
I get along good with the majority. It's a logic thing since we're passing a lot of time together. But maybe I'm feeling most close to Gudjohnsen, Henry and Jorquera.

So you know first hand if Henry is worried about his situation?
Henry is a very demanding person. He's focused on his job and we see that every day. He always wants to give his best for the team.

Let's talk about your career at Barça. If I give you the names of Reiziger, Frank de Boer and Koeman, what are you thinking then?
Emmm... That they are all Dutchmen?

That's right, but that's not where we were going to. They are the only three foreign defenders who have played more games than you in the history of Barça. You feel proud about that?
Well yes, obviously. Those three were great players and such a fact makes you understand the value of the years you have been playing here.

Looking at the numbers, you could reach the number one on that list, Koeman, in two years time. Can you imagine that this will happen?
Of course, why not? My priority is to continue here for many more years. I'm feeling very comfortable in the city and much appreciated within the club.

So you will renew your contract?
Well, there's no need to hurry. I still have a contract for this season and the next one. The truth is that I'm very happy here, with the club, the city, the teammates.

You thought about looking for another club during the past summer?
No, no. Not at all. I never thought about leaving Barça. My objective has always been to stay here.

You must have had a bunch of offers, right?
I received a lot of offers and this also gives you a relaxed feeling because it means that there will always be teams where you can go to if you wouldn't have opportunities here.

Atlético Madrid, coached by your compatriot Aquirre, has shown interest for you?
I don't know if the club received a formal offer but I know that Atlético wanted to sign me.

What was your best season, of the five you've already completed at Barça?
The season when we won the double, Liga and Champions League. It was, without any doubt, the most important season and the one during which I felt best on the pitch.

Your performances were excellent that season. Personally, I think that you grow in the games where there's a lot of pressure, like the ones against Chelsea and Milan that season...
Maybe. You have to be fully conncentrated in those games and that leads to a rise of the football level and the responsibility. Personally, I like those games a lot. Although I try to be more regular and to keep one same line in all the games.



This was the third part of this interview. You can read the fourth and last parts on thsi blog in the coming days with Márquez talking - among other things - about his relationship with Guardiola and about the Mexican national team.

Read the previous parts of this interview here:

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search