Saturday 18 October 2008

Xavi (2): "The Golden Ball belongs to Messi"

In an interview with Catalan sports paper Sport, Barcelona midfielder Xavi talked about the season so far.


(read the first part of the interview here)


The problem with being on such a high is that you can only go downhill now.
I don't plan on being successful forever. I've spent 10 years in the first team and I'm aware of the player that I am. I'll never think of myself as a great player. I'm not better than anybody else.

Well, you're probably a candidate for the Golden Ball.
I'm flattered that people say these things, but this year the Golden Ball belongs to one person: Lionel Messi.

Don't be modest...
No, it's the truth. When I see him in training, I think to myself: this guy is two or three steps ahead of everybody. Then I see him play and I think: "Incedible! How can I do that?" I assure you that you can't train that. You carry it in your blood.

Carrying the armband feels good, right?
To be honest, my role remains the same as before.

Well, now you're second captain and the homegrown players are an influential part of the squad.
The truth is that Guardiola has given us a bigger role. He wants us to help the newcomers and the youth, who are sometimes lost. Being a captain is more than just wearing the armband.

How do you feel about the accusations that Frank Rijkaard was the one responsible for Barca's worst moments?
It's a lack of respect to a manager that gave us everything and took us very far. The cowardly thing is to criticize somebody who isn't here anymore and I don't think it's right nor adequate to do so. Both Puyol and I are very calm about the subject as it is often brought up and we comment on it. You can say what you want but if the other doesnt listen... The past, for better or worse, is the past. I don't want to point the blame at individuals because it's not right.


Translated by Al

This was the first part of this interview. The third and last part will follow later this week.

You can read the first part here:
Xavi (1): "Home-grown players are easier criticized"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

god bless u Xavi the most humble and loyal and kind person u would ever find and also the best midfielder in the world although Messi is the best in the world and i love him Xavi will always be my Favourite Barca player along with puyol but Xavi first!!!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search