Friday 12 December 2008

Deco: "Every 20 years you have a player like Leo"

Former Barcelona player Deco gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.





You're following Barça?
Every time I can. I'm having a good time watching how the team of Guardiola is playing. At this moment, there's no team in Spain or even in Europe that is playing on the same level.

What do you like most?
The ambition that everyone is showing, the will to win trophies again, that's what I like.

They has surprised you?
No, because I know the quality there is in the squad, but I have to admit that Guardiola's work is very important. It impressed me how he turned Barça around with just some little changes. With almost nothing he got a team together that reminds me of the first seasons of Rijkaard and the best moments of Ronaldinho.

You really think Pep Guardiola's work is that important?
Yes. My former teammates, with whom I still have contact, are enthusiastic about Pep, about how he works, how he talks to them, how on top he is of everything. He reminds me of Mourinho at Porto. They're focusing on everything because they know how important little details can be, but at the same time they have very clear ideas about the global picture, they know which football they want their team to play and how to make it happen. Besides that, I notice that Guardiola knows very well how to deal with everything related to the entourage, the press, the fans... That's extremely important at Barça.

Some Barça player has surprised you?
Without any doubt: Sergio Busquets. I didn't know him but I'm delighted with how he plays, how he lives the games, how he is part of the group and even about how he tackles. That's another plus of Pep Guardiola because without him, with another coach who wouldn't know the B-team like he does, you cannot see anyone putting his trust in the young guys like he is been doing. It's a great joy for the youth players that Guardiola is there.

You always defended Eto'o.
Samuel is very important for Barça. You know that I have always said that the success of Barça putting pressure starts with Eto'o. If Samuel is on top of his physical abilities, like he is now, if he's feeling happy and motivated, it's hard to find a better striker anywhere in the world. Above that, and that's not a secret, he's extra motivated for the games against Madrid.

No need to ask you about Messi...
You have players like Leo once every twenty years. I don't want to involve myself but you know me well and you know that I'm talking already for many years about the incredible potential of Messi. He's destined to make history, to be one of the great players of world football. I also like it that he seems to have more luck with the injuries, that Pep replaces him if the games are decided. Barça is fortunate to count on a star player like Leo who has filled the gap left by the best Ronnie, who no matter what some may say also put his stamp on an era of Barça. Messi is on his way to be a player like Pelé, Maradona, Ronaldinho... I'm not exagerating, I'm perfectly aware of what Leo is capable of. Besides, he's a great guy, a good friend.

You're talking with Ronaldinho?
Every time we can, I called him a few days ago. He's happy in Milan and that's very important for his life and his game. I'm also very happy to see how Thiago Motta is recovering in Italy. You saw his great performance during the Sampdoria-Genoa game?

How about your former teammates?
I'm talking with them by phone, we're also sending each other text messages and when I'm in Barcelona I always meet with someone. I like to keep close ties with the city where I still have a house and where a part of my family still lives.


This was the first part of this interview. You can read the second part tomorrow with Deco talking about the game against Madrid.


Read more interviews:
Deco: "The media pressure at Barca is huge"
Laporta: "To govern is to resist"
Marquez: "Guardiola is a born winner"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we will always love you deco!

Anonymous said...

He's one of Barca's greatest..

Unknown said...

we miss you deco..

Anonymous said...

Deco, quality player. Did everyone see the lovely scissor kick goal at the weekend against Bolton?

Anyhow, Visça Barça!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search