Thursday 18 September 2008

Barça B: Luis Enrique enjoys coaching

In an interview with Asturias regional newspaper La Nueva España, Barcelona Athletic manager Luis Enrique (38) has talked about his first month as a coach.






How are things going in your new job?
Good, I'm again fully enjoying football. I have a good team and players with a great future.

You feel comfortable on the bench?
I actually didn't think I would like it this much. I would like to continue coaching, but a coach only depends on the results and he will be judged based upon that.

How does your team play?
We're following the tactics of the first team and the tradition that has been in this club for many years. We play a 4-3-3 system with wingers and trying to always play in a nice and dominant way. The idea is to balance defense and attack and to get a lot stronger by finding the right balance.

You also had an offer from the Spanish football federation (read more
here). Why did you choose for Barcelona?
I'm very grateful to the federation and especially to their sports director Fernando Hierro for the confidence, but Barcelona gave me the chance to train at a daily basis and to return to a club I also consider to be my home.

What is the objective of Barça B this season?
We want to try and win every game, in the beginning mainly to really see after ten games what our possibilities are. I don't exclude anything and our performances will show if we have been doing our job properly.

Guardiola sometimes takes away some of your key players.
For me, it's an honour that he promotes a few of my players every week. That's actually the reason why the first team squad is that short. I also have a very short squad so the Juvenil players have options to join us every now and then.

How is Joni López doing?
Good, motivated to get better and adding his experience to the team. He's performing at a good level.

How are you looking forward to the game against Sporting this weekend?
My heart is divided. Sporting has always been my team and Barcelona is my favourite teams amongst the top clubs.

You replaced Guardiola and we suppose you're talking with him about your teams. How is the situation of the first team?
It's a very well-organised and hard-working team with endless attacking possibilities. I'm sure they will play for the trophies this season. The doubtful start will only serve as an extra stimulation.

Read more:
Luis Enrique presented as Barcelona B coach
Barça B - Official: Joni
Luis Enrique to coach Barcelona B

1 comment:

pep said...

Note:
The paper specifiaclly asks about Joni because he's a Sporting Gijón player (he joined Barcelona on a one-year loan) and Gijón is a city in Asturias where this paper is published. That's of course also the reason why there's some talk about the Sunday game.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search