Friday 27 June 2008

Adebayor will stay at Arsenal

Asked about the rumours linking him with a summer exit (read more here), Arsenal forward and Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor (24) said during a sponsor event in Vienna that he doesn't have any plans to leave his club: "Of course I'm staying at Arsenal. I am an Arsenal player and have three years left on my contract. The most important thing for me is to enjoy my football so I'm staying.

When I was young I had a dream to be a good footballer and play for a big team. I can see some more years at Arsenal because I have a good contract and a good team there. I am playing for one of the biggest teams in the world and I am more than happy to keep on enjoying myself and that is all.

I was born in Togo so I never cared about playing for money, my happiness was to play to enjoy myself. That's what I've been doing until now. You can see people changing clubs because of money, because they want a change of atmosphere or to get their names in the big leagues. I just play football to enjoy myself. I play because I love it."

Barcelona sports director Txiki Begiristain confirmed yesterday at a press conference that Barcelona was holding talks on a transfer of Adebayor: "It's not the only name on the list. We're working on several options. But of course he's amongst the candidates."

Barcelona economic vice president Ferran Soriano said earlier this week in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC 1 that the negotiations on the Togolese player were ongoing: "We're very engaged in the operation and I can say that the transfer doesn't depend on Eto'o having to leave first."

Catalan sport paper Sport claims that the transfer was seen by the Barcelona board as being very complicated and that they only expected to close a deal by the end of the month of July. With Adebayor being the absolute priority of Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola, the club was ready to push hard for the player. A bid of 45 million euro° for both Adebayor and Hleb was being prepared.


Read more:

8 comments:

pep said...

45 million euro =

70 million us dollar
36 million british pound



(thanks to "anonymous" for the tip!)

Anonymous said...

thank you God

Anonymous said...

The best news for long!

Anonymous said...

45mil bid for Hleb and Adebayor? And for 10mil more we could get "Kun" Aguero instead? Why wait for the vote of no confidence? Sack Laporta now and bring in Rosell!

Anonymous said...

Adebayor is a putz. Talented, but a putz. I'm leaving. No, wait. I'm staying. No, wait....I have a contract, but lots of teams are interested in me.

Make a decision and stick the hell with it. Be a man.

And I would take Hleb and Adebayor over a more expensive Aguero any day of the week. Do we really need another short player with great ball skills?

No. We need a central striker who can score against Premiership sides, I don't care who it is. If we have that these past two seasons, we probably have two Champions League titles, are a lot better in the Liga because it becomes more difficult to pack the box against us. And we have no worries.

But the little guys couldn't finish against the big Premiership defenders. If your side has a problem, you fix it.

There are a lot of flavors of the day, from Arshavin to Aguero. But at some point if proven talent is on the table, again whoever that talent is, a club has to at lease consider it. And if all that Rosell can offer is keeping Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Deco and bringing in Aguero, he should go sit in a corner and be quiet.

Anonymous said...

NO! adebayor is a brilliant player, shame.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Kxevin, but only to a certain extent. Adebayor is not worthy of being a player who commands a "get at all costs" mentality. You have to draw a line somewhere. He's clearly not worth the money that Arsenal is asking for him. Not $40mil, not $30mil, not even $25mil in my opinion! He's had one realy good season that's it! You must be the only one on the planet who thinks that by adding Adebayor that is going to be the missing piece to Barcelona's team that finally get's them over the top? Because quite frankly I find that to be the most farfetched and unimaginable scenario I've ever heard! Which makes me wonder how a player like Eto'o who is better skilled and more talented than Ade can somehow command less on the transfer market. Someone needs to explain that one to me.

Ramzi said...

hm..Well..anonymous(above)...Kxevin is not the only one who think the way he mentioned...i totaly agree with him...even in a circus u need more than just dancers...u need muscle boys...and thats exactly what barca is importing this year...let me tell u what is barca problem offensively...playing against teams who squeeze their players in the box(their box of course) agains barca who actualy have no players in the box. messi.iniesta,eto, ronaldihno all penetrate from out/in "if their will b a way in), add to that no shooting attempts from outside, adebayor is not a "messi skilled talent", but inside the box u can c his head raising high in the air even between 20 players squeezed arround him!u can c it from madrid if the game is in barcelona;)so obviously messi,alvis and co can c it,and can cross the ball to hit that head and bounce to goal!thats all what u need to unlock a game then...hey!let the show begin!
Note:Aguero is not a good option for the team...i know..i know boys...u will scream on me...and on guardiola if he say so...but u know whats the defference between good coach and excited fans?fans c good players, coaches choose good players"FOR THE TEAM"

Custom Search
 
Custom Search