Friday 21 March 2008

Xabi plans to stay

After an incident caused by his decision not to fly with the team to Milan for the Champions League game against Inter because his partner was ready to give birth, whereupon Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez declined his offer to fly on the morning of the game, rumours about a possible summer exit of Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alsonso (26) reappeared (read more here). In an interview with British tabloid The Daily Mail, the player now states he doesn't have any plans to leave Liverpool anytime soon: "I have a contract until 2012 and I'm quite satisfied about my future."

Xabi nevertheless defended his decision to stay in England: "I will always accept the orders of my coach and I don't think that anyone can question my professionalism. But there are occasions in life when some things take priority over sport and that was definitely one of them." The Spanish international considers the incident as closed: "I know I was criticised but it's over. For me that is forgotten now. "

(read more on the Xabi Alonso transfer story here)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think he would be the back-up for Touré we're looking for anyway.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search