Sunday 28 December 2008

Abidal: "I stand in line like everyone"

Barcelona player Eric Abidal gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





Are you aware that the start of your season wasn't the best we have seen from you?
It wasn't the best, that's true. The thing is that we played a bad European championship with France and I wasn't at my best level. I started the season with Barça at the same level and things didn't turn out the way I wanted. My head wasn't good, my legs either. If you don't feel well, that has an influence on a lot of aspects of your life. But I want to point out one thing: the people in this club are intelligent and they understand that someone can have troubles at a given moment. It's normal there are highs and lows in the career of a football player and sometimes it's better to take a break to come back with renewed energy later.

You're refering to the technical staff?
I explained them what was happening and they immediately understood it without making any problem. But I'm also refering to my teammates. They have behaved in a spectacular way and I thank them for their support.

What would you highlight from Pep?
He has a way of working that is quite different compared to Rijkaard: with Pep everything is clear and that has an influence on the results. If you train and work well, you know that you'll also going to play well. What I like about Pep are those details and those gestures off the pitch. This year there are new rules, that's true, but it works. We started well and we won our games but nothing is decided yet. The system is hard but it's a good way of working. We're all in it together, that's the most important thing in every project.

You're a good professional, so you didn't find it hard to adapt.
Integrity is my device. I always work very seriously but off the pitch there should be happiness and companionship. We all have the same objective. Last year we just hadn't enough luck. Only that, because we had a quality squad with great players. We all have our qualities and this year the group didn't change a lot.

You always look very serious. Is this real or are there two Abidals? You're just acting cool?
There aren't two Abidals! There's only one. The one looking that serious on the pictures you showed me is real. I'm feeling good, I'm happy, I'm a good person who wants to share everything with everyone, but if you're messing with me, you're out. I'm serious and straightforward and I like people to be straight with me as well. If they hurt me or my family, that's the end.

Seriously, when do you smile?
Every time I'm with my daughters. My life now turns around football. It's true that my work is my passion, but that's not the essence of life. We'll see where we will go or what we will do after my career. Abidal always has that in mind, what will come afterwards. There are people who are going through bad times and who aren't as fortunate as we are. There are days you can be happy but you cannot forget the world in which you life and where some people have nothing to eat.

You feel privileged?
Privileged because I like football and because that's my job, but when I'm going shopping at the supermarket I stand in the line like everyone. Children have a positive idea of football players and that's a good thing.

What kind of person are you off the pitch?
Abidal is always at home. My daily life is easy to explain. Training, going home to do a siesta, getting my daughters from school, eating at home and that's it. I like the city but I don't go out a lot. Sometimes I go out for a drive but only to go and eat quality fish, which I like a lot. I adore fish.



This is the second part of this interview. You can read the first part here:
Abidal: "If Busquets was black, he would be 35"

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search