Thursday 27 November 2008

Gudjohnsen: "We're ready to play against Madrid"

Barcelona player Eidur Gudjohnsen gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





How did you feel when you got injured after a good start of the season?
It was bad luck, but it was just horrible. After I got injured, I suffered a lot. It was difficult to accept, but it was counterbalanced with the fact that the coach let me play immediately when I came back. The first game I was ready, I could play and I scored a goal. I worked hard to be able to return as soon as possible.

I was surpised to see you come back on top of your game.
I have been working hard during the recovery. Besides that, and with all my respect towards my country and my national team, I got aware that sometimes it's not really "worth" it to play a game with Iceland, if you understand what i mean.

Is it too much of a risk?
It's always an effort, but look, I don't think that Iceland will win the World cup.

You're considering to leave the Iceland team so you can focus on Barcelona?
No, because it's still an honour to play for my country and people expect a lot from me. I enjoy every game I play with them, but with moderation. I will pick the games from now on.

You don't think three points is a too narrow lead looking at the difference in playing styles between Madrid and Barcelona?
Yes, looking at how we have been playing, there's not a lot of distance with the other teams, but winning 6-0 or 1-0 is the same. They both give you three points. The best thing for us is that because of the way we play, we should only focus on ourselves.

What happened to Real Madrid in the Cup, we all could see that coming. Something like that could also happen to Barcelona?
It's not likely these days, but in football there's a thin line between success and disaster. We were lucky to qualify for the next round and now we can put the cup aside until January and focus on the Liga and the Champions League.

The coach thinks the games against Malaga, Valladolid, Recreativo and Getafe are more important that the games against Madrid, Sevilla or Valencia. Do you agree?
I don't think those December games will be decisive. You don't win the league in November or December, but with a bad series you can lose it.

You're anxiously waiting for the Madrid game?
Of course we want to play against Madrid! But we need to keep or even improve our level in the meanwhile. I don't care about Madrid coming today or tomorrow, they can come whenever they want. We'll be ready.



This was the first part of this interview. You can read the second part tomorrow with Gudjohnsen talking - among other things - about José Mourinho and about how close his exit was this summer.

Read more interviews with Barcelona players here

4 comments:

anik said...

pep,i wanted to discuss something quite irrelevant here.u see i have this new blog about JASON BOURNE(all u guys can visit there by clicking in "anik" in the following section.)& i couldn't find a way to make my blog appear in google search.if anybody has to visit he has to type the whole web address.i would be very grateful if u ould help me out.

anik said...

follow*ers!not following.

pep said...

I think Google just needs some time to get it in their records, Anik. Could last for a week or so. And don't expect your blog to appear on top of the search results if someone searches for "bourne" anyday soon... ;)

Good luck with your blog!

anik said...

thanx pep.please do visit my blog whenever u can & please do comment, i will be very happy if you do so!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search