Monday 29 September 2008

Puyol (4): "I learnt a lot from Rijkaard"

In an interview with Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona central defender and captain Carles Puyol (30) talked about the team and the club.






You're being very active in corner-kicks lately. You scored a goal against Boca Juniors and half a goal in Gijón...
Last season I was already involved. Every player has his role in that kind of situations and sometimes you can be decisive. I like to take part in corners by scoring or giving an assist like the other day.

Eto'o didn't take your goal against Sporting?
Not at all. I actually prefer that he scores. He needs that more than I do.

Another issue. Is it really necessary to be negative about Frank Rijkaard when talking about the work Guardiola is doing, like some of your team-mates have done?
I don't agree with that at all. It seems very good that you praise the work of our coach because he's really doing a great job, but to use that to talk negative about Frank Rijkaard doesn't seem right to me. And even more so if we're doing this becuse we were there and we had the chance to talk about everything back then. The players were the first ones to blame. To point at the ones who aren't here anymore is the easiest thing to do and it's very unfair.

You're keeping contact with Rijkaard?
I do. I learnt a lot from him. For me, he's one of the best coaches I had in my career. I wish him the best. I hope and I'm sure that he'll return to coaching and that he'll again win trophies.

You're talking with Ronaldinho?
I have a good relationship with him, like I have with Deco. I wish them both the best and I hope they can give their new clubs as much as they have given to Barcelona.

You think Ronaldinho is capable to return to his best?
I don't doubt that. He just needs some time to adapt and to get the confidence back.


This was the last part of the interview. You can read the first three parts here:

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search