Wednesday 3 September 2008

Barça B: Iago talks about exit

Asked about the transfer of former Barcelona youth player Iago Falqué (18) to Juventus (read more here), people from his entourage told Spanish news agency EFE that sporting issues were the only reason to leave for Italy:


"Iago leaves Barcelona purely because of football reasons. Money has nothing to do with it. He's just looking for an opportunity to play, which wouldn't have been possible in Barcelona. In Italy, he's already training with the first team. In Barcelona this has never been possible."

In an interview with Galicia regional newspaper El Faro de Vigo, Iago already talked last weekend about his move to Italy:

What does this transfer mean to you?
It's a very good change for me. I leave a great club but I join a club that is at least as prestigious as the former one. They are both European top clubs and both of them have their own history. I'm very motivated to start this new cycle in my football career.

It seems strange that Barcelona didn't count on you, even more so after your good performances recently.
Yes, it is. Luis Enrique told me from the start that he had a lot of people for my position. Later he said that he counted on me, but by that time I didn't want to continue anymore. I was already talking with other clubs and my mind had left the club.

The case of Cesc Fàbregas shows that Barcelona often makes a mistake in letting a young player go. You would like to follow his example?
Cesc is a different kind of player and each person is also different. He went to Arsenal, I'm going to Italy. Said all that, it would of course be a dream to be able to follow his example and to repeat what he has done.

It is said that Claudio Ranieri was the main driving force behind your transfer.
I think that's true, his opinion has been important. They came to see me in Ireland last week and they showed that they were really interested. It was the club that offered me the best conditions, both at a sporting level and financially.

The plan is that you'll start playing with their reserve team. You see chances to make your first team debut in a short term?
I think so, yes. Although I'll have to work for it. They don't sign an 18 years old player like me just to play with the reserves. Of course it will depend on my performances. But I think I will get opportunities if I train well and show what I'm worth.

It will be a big move from Barcelona to Turin. How will you deal with that?
I don't think I will have a lot of problems. I have the total support of my family, which is the most important thing in this kind of situations. They will be close to me and help me around.

Read a more extensive interview with Iago later this week

Read more:
Barça B - Official: Iago to Juventus

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BULL SHIT. Ranieri have said that Iago will be a part of the first team squad in 2, maybe 3 years. He would have had that opportunity at Barca too.

Anonymous said...

""The case of Cesc Fàbregas shows that Barcelona often makes a mistake in letting a young player go. You would like to follow his example?""

What a shame.Every one makes mockery of barca for letting their wonderkids go.

Anonymous said...

"Luis Enrique told me from the start that he had a lot of people for my position. Later he said that he counted on me, but by that time I didn't want to continue anymore. I was already talking with other clubs and my mind had left the club."

Good job Luis! Jackass.

Ramzi said...

Ali, barcelona is one of the best teams in the world when it come to generating young players, you cant expect that they keep them all, so every year some of thems will slip out, for various reasons, Fabri went to arsenal and found the opportunity to play, Arsenal had no Xavi and iniesta to make it hard for Fabri, and so on...
Now the only concern is that barcelona Athletic coach may prefer less talanted with better form on the short term, over more talented that need time to accomplish themselves, just so he make good impression as fast as possible after pepe season last year, thats a concern...

cojonudo said...

Not to stir the pot but as has previously been mentioned on another post in this blog, did Iago really have a fighting chance to be a first team player in the future at Barcelona with Pedro, and Jeffren ahead of him, and Messi virtually having the right wing spot locked down for years to come?

Listen, I'm a bit upset as well, but if it's in Iago's best interest to move to another club so as to hopefully one day crack the first team shouldn't we be happy for him?

Even if you are the most ardent Barcelona supporter I think it would sound a bit selfish to hold onto the lad knowing he'll never have a future at the club. Keeping him just for the sake of blocking him from joining another club just isn't right!

Enrique has to live with his decision and from all indications he's already moved on from this and so do we.

One thing that Juventus can never take away is that Iago hopefully will be a fixture in the future for the Spanish National Team for years to come. And that is something I very much look forward to as a fellow Spaniard.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search