Sunday 27 July 2008

Drogba wants his future sorted out soon

Asked about the rumours linking him with a summer exit to Barcelona (read more here), Chelsea forward and Ivory Coast international Didier Drogba (30) has said in an interview with British tabloid The Sunday Mirror that he wants his future sorted out in the coming week:


"This next week will be key in terms of my future. And I am currently injured. People who say I am not don't know me at all because I always want to play. I have even missed the chance to play at the Olympics. As for my future at Chelsea, well I have a contract with the club that is clear. But my agents will have a meeting in London and then it will be known once and for all.

It is true that the big clubs in Europe want me but this does not depend on me but on the Chelsea directors. I want to know the definitive decision this week. Things changed in the summer with the arrival of Luiz Felipe Scolari. He spoke with me and told me he was depending on me this year. I have worked well up until the injury and now he is in China I have not spoken to him since."

Pierre Frelot, the agent of Drogba, who apparently has delayed writing the last chapter of his autobiography until his future is resolved, added to the uncertainty saying that the chances of the player staying or leaving are the same: "Didier is a Chelsea player but there is a 50 per cent chance that he will stay and 50 per cent that he will leave."

Read more:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we don't need or want Didier Drogba, even if his asking price was half what it is now. just keep Eto'o, it's free.

cojonudo said...

That picture is very apropo as to how we are all starting to feel about this transfer 'saga'.

Try as I might I just don't see him as Scolari's 'type' of player(i.e. clinical, smooth, creativity on goal,etc.) Drogba's quite the opposite, (brutish, direct, imposing.)

The question remains is how much is Barcelona willing to ante up for a player they only envision playing two seasons at the club? Anything over 20mil would seem excessive. Drogba of course wants at least a three year deal but I don't see Barcelona giving being that desperate to give in to such a demand.

Anonymous said...

Drogba wants four years, we would give him three, if you believe the rumor mill.

If we can get him for 25 million or less, I'd take it, and get a place on the mantel ready for that Champions League trophy.

Cojonudo is right. And we could use some "brutish, direct and imposing" on our front line.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search