Friday 23 May 2008

Pique is in Barcelona

Asked about the statement of Barcelona sports director Txiki Begiristain earlier this week that a deal on the player was close (read more here), Manchester United central defender Gerard Piqué (21) said today to journalists when arriving in Barcelona where he will play with Catalunya against Argentinia tomorrow that he could not deny that: "It's all very well-advanced, like Txiki already said, but as long as everything is not officially confirmed, I don't want to think much about it."


Piqué said that he can only wait and see how things develop but looks forward to a return to Barcelona: "I've always said that I would never close the Barça door. I've always been a culé and returning and wearing that jersey is the best thing that can happen. I didn't know when I would come back but now everything seems to be close. But I insist that I'm not the one who will make the decision, it now all depends on the two clubs."

In an interview with Spanish radio station Onda Cero, Piqué said that he hoped for a quick deal: "For now I still have a contract for one more year with Manchester, but I hope that everything will be solved soon. I'm sure the best is yet to come for me." Piqué also confirmed that Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson didn't give him any more playing time since the first rumours linking the player with Barcelona (read more here).

Amador Bernabéu, the grandfather of Piqué and a former Barcelona board member (read more here), said in an interview with Catalan radio station Ona FM that the family hopes for the rumours to be confirmed: "We are waiting for him to come home. There's a big difference between the Gerard who left when he was 17 and the one who won the Champions League and the Premier League this season. Although he has always been a leader in the dressing-room, he grew up in England and became a man."

Read more:

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search